Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, April 28, 2006

A Thing or Two to Add.

So, remember how after my last first date, I told you all that I had dated enough assholes and, because this guy was nice, I'd go out with him again if he asked?

I lied. I never had any intention of going out with him again.

I am sorry that I was not forthright with you. I just didn't want to seem like "that girl," the one who doesn't give someone a second chance because there isn't instant chemistry. But I am that girl and, as I've found through this whole process, there is nothing wrong with that. It is important for me to be myself. There are too many instances in my past where I've held back or said and done things so that the object of my affection at the time would like me more. I found myself watching golf tournaments on Sunday afternoons--not with him, mind you, but by myself, so that we would have something to talk about the next day (because, duh, "real" conversation justifies the rest of the relationship). I found myself saying things, doing things, and encouraging things I normally would not, so as not to look lame. In fact, not being myself made me lame. And, in the end, what good came from it?

Now, enough of a digression. As you are aware from my trusty friend Objection, my date yesterday was seemingly a success. He was on time. Polite. Cute. Friendly. Asked questions. Paid attention to my answers. He has smiling eyes.

And when I say I will go out with him again if he asks, I mean it this time. Now I just hope karma doesn't rear its ugly head and come bite me in the ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home