Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Unbelievable (or, Look How Far I've Come, Part I).

So since life here in the online dating world hasn’t been too exciting (at least on my end) lately, I thought I’d dredge up some stories from my own personal dating archives. In Friends fashion, let’s call this one “The One With the Inappropriate Suggestion.”

So you are all aware (simply by mention, no details necessary) of “The Rolly Chair Affair of ’04.” What you are not aware of is that this indiscretion (in so many ways) lasted a good six months (and produced many repeatable stories in addition to the tale I am presently telling). Those six months ended seemingly inexplicably. What had once been a “relationship” of daily correspondence and meetings turned into absolutely nothing. No contact whatsoever.

Fast forward eight months. I had not seen or spoken to said gentleman (or should I say boy) since he stopped communication. I see him at an event. I happen to be with another person, a person who subsequently and without trying to piqued his interest (and who, incidentally, turned into a Bad Idea eventually, as well…but another story for another time). Not three hours later, Rolly Chair Boy (RCB) shows up at my office door with the excuse that he was “in the area.” Whatever. He also brings me a bottle of water. Weird.

This started a few week long email correspondence that sort of kind of (but without rolly chairs) reminded me of old times. This correspondence quickly came to an end (this time by my own volition) when I received the following email (not verbatim, of course, and certain details were changed to protect the innocent):

RCB: So, if I recall correctly, I think we had planned on celebrating when you finished that big project of yours. Is it done?

Which prompted the following exchange:

RD: Yes.

RCB: Maybe I can come over with a bottle of [insert RD’s favorite hard liquor here] and we can celebrate.

RD: I don’t think that is a good idea.

RCB: [said specified liquor] is always a good idea.

To which he obviously got no response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home