Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, April 14, 2006

The Unanticipated Response

As a child I was raised in a very conservative and sheltered household. For example, I was not allowed to watch PG-13 movies until I turned 13 and even then, only with parental approval. I could not pierce my ears until I was 12. Once I was old enough to go out with boys (I intentionally refrain from using the word "dating" because LBH, very few people from my high school dated), a whole new host of rules came into play. Boys had to pick me up at the door and must be introduced to my parents prior to going out. Once I returned home, I was not permitted to sit in the driveway with said suitor because goodness only knows what could transpire in a car parked in my parents' driveway.

My mother is a Southern lady. She's like a living, breathing Emily Post always put together, always proper, and always looking like she just walked off the pages of a Talbot's catalogue. So, I've been amazed at how supportive she's been of the whole Internet-dating phenomenon. But, never was a more surprised than today. Tonight, I'm going on date number 3 with EE. Yes, and the venue for this particular date is none other than EE's home. My friends have expressed some concern about this, and perhaps with good reason...After all, how well do I know EE? But, my mother has been inexplicably supportive of this plan. Today, I received the following e-mail from my mother:

"Have a good time - be careful. You might want to open a drawer to see if the furniture is of quality!"

No, I'm not kidding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home