Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Can't buy me love.

I opened my DailyCandy email today to see what I can only call a pathetic ad for my favorite [insert sarcasm] dating website, Match.com. And, bad bad bad DailyCandy for selling out like that.

Per the email, "When you want a real romance, you want to turn to someone you trust. And one very trustworthy place has something new to offer."

What they're offering is a guarantee that you will find love in six months, or you get six months free. I find so many things wrong with this. So. Many. Things.

  1. Since I started my Match subscription (six months ago), I have received three emails a week with potential matches. Four months into it, I began getting repeats. Many of my repeats were men with whom I shared some sort of communication (whether initiated or reciprocated by me). The point: there are not "millions of potential dates" out there unless you are (a) undiscriminating (b) looking all over the world for Mr. Right.
  2. I had had my fill by the end of my three months. I had not found "love" or anything even close and was ready to say "No, thanks" not only to potential skeevy suitors but, also, to Match itself. I hadn't found love and wouldn't have kept looking if they gave me another three months free. I hadn't even found like. Or lust. Why would I want another six months of "Hey, your pretty we would really get along here's my phone number" emails and winks from men without faces (ie no profile photos)? The point: I can amuse myself with bad writing in a million other ways. I do not need it in my inbox. Plus, I get enough emails already. And I prefer real life winks (and forehead kisses) than virtual ones from strangers. PS I hate strangers.
  3. I would like to note that it was I, Reluctant Dater, who first used the "online dating is like shopping" simile. So, props to me, please. The point: I'm brilliant.
  4. I do not, nor will I ever, "trust" a dating website that has no idea who I am and knows me only by my credit card number. Who are they to pick my Prince Charming? I mean, I can't even do it, and I know me better than anyone. The point: I'm an adult and can take responsibility for my own actions and bad choices. I do not need Match.com to serve as a scapegoat/intermediary.

Is this smart marketing? I don't know. I wouldn't commit to six months if there is a three month option, regardless of their "guarantee." It was hard enough committing to three months, but stupid Dr. Phil stood there mocking me, so I felt like I had no choice. But if I was unsatisfied after three months, I wouldn't have wanted another three months to "see," even if it were free. A whole year on Match? Give me a "No, thanks" button, please.

2 Comments:

Blogger NotCarrie said...

You should try that Date Lab thing at the Post!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Objection said...

Fully concur. Match annoyed me. Of course, perhaps I can't complain too much. I did meet EE there within only a week of signing up. And, that led to a 5.5 month relationship -- which I subsequently referred to as "clincial" and which caused a good amount of anxiety due to a complete inability to DTR. Hmmmm...okay, wait. I can complain. Down with Match!

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home