Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

What are YOUR drawers like?

Having a bad day? Easy to solve if you're a female. Sometimes you just need to cry. Other times you need retail therapy...oftentimes in the form of new underwear (I hate hate HATE the word "panties"). I, myself, find great contentment when I buy some new duds--whether "hot" or "functional," they're still new and fun.

Now, I know this is supposed to be a dating blog...but undergarments, in general, and underwear, in particular, are an important part of a female's dating arsenal. So bear with me and make this work, as I have no other outlet for my confusion and frustration on this subject.
Now, this isn't going to be a post about the best and worst of female undergarments. In fact, it's much more tame than that. Really, it's more of a question I have to pose to my female compatriots out there. Let me give you some background.

The other night, a good friend of mine came to my house (we will call her PF, for Pregnant Friend). The night prior, I had spent my Entourage/Simple Life hour folding laundry. Specifically, underwear. More specifically, over 75 pairs. Yes, I have a problem.

Back to the point: those who know me know that I hate nothing more than folding and then putting away laundry. So, while my pretty underthings were folded, there were still in neat little piles in the living room. Key word here is folded. You may have paused the first time you read it and, much like PF, exclaimed "OMG, you FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR?"

Doesn't everyone?

Apparently not. I find this horrifying. How do you find the pair you're coveting when you have to dig through a drawer? Don't they get stuck in the back, clogging the drawer? Or tangled up with each other? How do you differentiate between fabric and style and cut? I did not think I was the only one who folded such clothing items, but it appears that even the most OCD of you guys don't waste the time. Appalling.

So, am I really the only one out there who does this? I mean, I have even mastered how to fold pairs that are not conducive to folding. This behavior is not something that is new to me or a result of my age induced clothing related neat-ness. I have always been like this (thanks, Mom). In fact, one time, when I was in college, it was my sole responsibility to remember to record Melrose Place. I happened to forget. The wrath of my suitemates was felt that night, when I walked into my dorm room to find my underwear drawer disheveled and all of my socks separated and thrown haphazardly into the drawer. They knew how to hit me where it hurt.

I could not sleep until everything was back in order.

And, in case you're wondering...PF came over on Monday because we were going out for dinner and drinks with Objection and another friend...because Objection lost a bet. A dating related bet. But since she doesn't talk to you any more, you have no idea what is going on in her life.

Ahem, Objection.

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Photography said...

I know that I should fold, but I rarely ever do. But last week I spent 70 dollars on 2 pairs of undies, so maybe developing an expensive underwear habit will cause me to be more organized about it.

11:47 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

I fold mine. But then sometimes I get frustrated in the morning and throw them all around. In my old apartment, my closet was IMMACULATE and I have pictures of it. I'm insane.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home