Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

I hope you don't think I'm stupid.

I'm not one of those vapid, complacent girls you dated/slept with/whatever before you met me (and I'm assuming you continued to gravitate toward after you had had enough of me).

I. Am. Not. Stupid. I know you've blocked me from your stupid IM list. There's no reason you wouldn't be online. You're there, just hiding. You aren't there under another alias because I know you can't change your screen name.

The only reason I care is because you think I don't know it. Or you want me to know it. Or suspect it. I know it, effer. You think taking yourself off of my radar will make me not talk to you or want to talk to you. Have you noticed that I've neither wanted to nor attempted to in months? I care but not in the way you want me to. So you lose. Again.

How old are you again?

(And she steps off her bitter, cynical soapbox).

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Forgive me, but I'm confused. If you know that you don't want to talk to them anyway, what difference does it make if they show up on your buddy list or not? Isn't it easier not to talk to them if they're blocking you, so there's no temptation anyway?

2:08 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

Because he thinks it matters (which it obviously does, but not in the way he wants it to) or else he wouldn't go through the trouble...it's because HE made the decision to block ME. He thinks that he's important enough that I will be upset (in a sad way) that he did this...when really I'm just annoyed that he thinks I sit around trying not to write to him and this takes away the temptation. It's all petty, I realize. And doesn't make sense.

And there is never any temptation...but I just like to know that he's still around. Again, confusing, I know.

2:33 PM  
Blogger J said...

No, I think I get it. I certainly still check the away messages of certain people, even though I really have no desire to IM them, and it would just be easier for me to delete them off the list since I'm not going to be writing them anyway.

I guess I just hadn't really thought of it from the other side before, where you're putting a certain agenda to his purpose of blocking you. My first response would be to assume it was because he was hurt and didn't want to see when you were on, whereas you go the other way that he wants to hurt/upset you by it.

As long as you're really okay with things, I guess its all good then.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

if i make him out to be worse than he [probably] is, it makes that little part of me that might sometime want to talk to him/just say hi disappear.

i could also look at it as though he's doing it to "protect" me--if i don't see him on there i can "forget" that he exists and that he "hurt" me--he's not "tempting" me...he's being the nice guy (that he always claimed to be)...he's making it easier.

but we know that's bs.

6:07 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Yeah, anyone over 15 is too old to block people. ugh!


(Even though I have. haha)

6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home