Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, June 12, 2006

How to Get the Guy.

Do we single women, those who are looking for love, really need another person/book/television show telling us that we are doing something wrong or giving us new and different means of finding Mr. Right?

As a fan of answering the rhetorical question, allow me to shout NO. No no no no no no no. NO.

Every time I read a book (hello, He's Just Not That Into You) or see a commercial (yes, ladies, the eHarmony personality profile is still free!) or see a celebrity break up with one man and immediately head into the arms (okay, who am I kidding...into the bed) of another man or see another television show (such as today's premiere of How to Get the Guy) I think to myself: Wow. There must be a different way to do things. Maybe if I tried this or said that or went here, Prince Charming will fall into my lap and we'll live happily ever after.

Maybe. But how do I know?

All of these shows and books and "real life" situations with which I find myself inundated just serve to make me more frustrated and annoyed. There always seems to be a new way to do something or a new avenue to venture down...and you're always left wondering "what if." As the typical lifelong overachiever, I don't like thinking I'm not doing everything I can. But, LBH, I'm more concerned with the fact that I feel responsible for the cards dealt to me. Yes, I've surely made bad decisions. But is it my fault I'm still single?

For my own sake, I hope that isn't a rhetorical question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home