Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

girlfriending.

I don't understand this phenomenon...it was more understandable in my college days I guess but as a girl working on her 30th year! Why???!!!!

i know you all know what girlfriending is...that tendency for a man to take you out, make you his girlfriend immediately, call incessantly, pay lavish attention to you...then three months later...nothing. nada. zilch. you become a nag when you innocently ask "what did you end up doing last weekend?"

i have been victim of this more times than i would actually admit (which darlings...means never, of course) and i am now the wiser...i hold myself back a bit...to make it clear that i am not girlfriending material...girlfriend maybe...but you don't get to girlfriend me for awhile...

so why do i mention this now that i am so above this behavior??? because dear readers...now my FRIENDS ask me why I do this...and think i'm being silly and unspontaneous.

Um.

9 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

ha! i've never heard this term. this is the story of MY LIFE. if we were to recount the number of men who have girlfriended me. geez.

though, i'm not really ever important enough to be given the title. so my comment above may be irrelevant. whatever.

8:02 PM  
Blogger jo said...

i too have never heard of this term... but i've definitely seen it happen... mainly to my friends though. nope for me usually the guy just goes straight into the nothing nada zilch null the set mode even before he has sufficiently paid me enough attention.

8:33 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

maybe i coined something...or my friends and i did...this is what we call it...

maybe the whole thing is a scam to get in our pants...they are probably taught the scheme as lads.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

RJ-

If you weren't so much younger than me, I'd swear that we must have some guys in common! :)

I understand holding back...but be careful...you might miss out on something really good. Sometimes it's better to risk be "girlfriended" in order to keep yourself open for the real thing.

9:25 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

i know...but it's only been one date. last night. and he has texted me twice...one in the morning...and once after lunch...and he called.

i like him but i move a little slower. or maybe cautiously would be the better word...

9:30 PM  
Blogger allan said...

RJ: In defense of my species, we have learned over several millions of years that there is no such thing as an "innocent question" ;).

It can be hard to find the right balance between over zealousness and ignoring the person. One woman who I went on a date with left me 3 text messages while I was at work the next day.

Its understandable that when you first date someone you are excited about them and want to let it show (especially, a great woman like yourself). Tempering that excitement is important, as long as you don't temper it too much :)

4:32 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

thanks allan...i won't temper it too much. at least i hope i won't...but then sometimes i think if i do then i probably wasn't that interested...because sometimes if i do go with it...

it leads to another flaw in my personality...talking myself into someone. which i'm sure i'll blog about sometime down the road.

5:32am!!!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger allan said...

uhh...yea, having my own lovesick issues, couldn't sleep :).

6:25 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

completely understand. i don't sleep well either...but i end up usually being awake from 1-4 :D

then of course it is horrible dragging myself out of bed in the morning

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home