Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Channeling Emily Post.

But I don’t think she would have any idea.

Apparently there is a “new” feature on Match.com that allows you to say “No, thanks” when someone winks at you or sends you an email. I say it is new because my friends who are Match veterans (and married!) say that this keen little option did not exist when they were looking for love in cyberspace. (Wait! Are we looking for love? Wow, that's a lot of pressure.)

Anyway, I digress. I always have a dilemma when I receive an email that says “so and so has winked at you” or “so and so has sent you an email.” What if so and so doesn’t interest me in the least? (Before you judge or call me hypercritical, take a moment to liken internet dating to shopping. Work with me. You spy something that catches your eye, you take a closer look, you buy or move on. Brilliant.) Do I just ignore the wink/email? Or do I say “No, thanks” and move on to the next?

Though seemingly callous, I often choose the ignore option, as it seems to me to be the lesser of the evils. Saying “No, thanks” is outright rejection. Who am I to reject someone I don’t even know, sight unseen? I think it’s kinder and gentler to just ignore…after a while, he will hopefully forget that he sent me a wink or an email (or, on rare occasions, both) and, thus, forget about me.

And, duh, I’m the Queen of Passive Aggressivia.

3 Comments:

Blogger NotCarrie said...

I would just ignore them unless they repeatedly wink/write then say "No thanks!"

4:05 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Did you just compare shopping to dating? This blog is AWESOME! You guys are hilarious.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Whisky-Freaking-Pants said...

IMO, this "no thanks" option from match is the only damn useful thing they've ever provided. In addition to saying "no thanks" to emails, you can provide information on WHY you're not interested. This is particularly handy when you're getting gross emails from guys: 1. wearing wife-beaters with NASCAR logos, 2. who are old enough to be your father, 3. whose dating status is "separated" (since 15% of men online are married, I take this as a bad sign), and 4. who obviously have not read the profile.

I just hate match. A friend in NYC has recommended that I try out this networking thing called Lunch Club (not to be confused with Its Just Lunch, which Velvet has demonstrated to be complete crap).

Anyway, keep up the good work!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home