Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Eat My Words

Maybe it’s not that simple. To always be so serious in one’s pursuit of the one…

After a painful fairly recent end to my long-standing relationship with FB (flyboy) and a somewhat proud history of never having had a one night stand, a long work-related flirting history that had escalated exponentially over the past couple of weeks culminated in us finally ending up back at my place last night. No longer can I make firm declarations that standards must always be maintained. I have learned that there definitely is room for fun in there too. I think that Kerner (author of BHYNTIHE) had it right when he said there is a place for casual sexual relationships but preferably only when they are earth-shattering, or near-earth-shattering. And this one was, I think, partially, because we both mutually care for each other, at least within the confines of our professional relationship.
For multiple, complicated reasons, I do not expect that this will turn into actual dating (and, I think this is mutual). I do worry though that the feared, possibly inevitable, emotional attachment is just lurking around the corner waiting for me. But, being breezy, fun, and single now, this might prove to be the ultimate FWB relationship, serving nicely to help me get over FB in due time. And what’s wrong with that?

I went into last night thinking it was going to be just this one time, but ETB (exam table boy) is already wondering if I will visit him while he is “on call” tonight. Grey’s Anatomy? Not exactly McDreamy, but close...

9 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

Be careful with the work relationship thing, it is almost never a good idea...and usually downright bad. Err...not that I would know from personal experience or anything ;).

6:11 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

you had a flyboy???.i actually just got back from an all day brunch bust...and i think there were actually some top gun quotes in the hilarity.

but i agree with allan... and it's not so much the relationship is bad...but i have a close friend going through the end of a work thing...and the problem is more the seeing him day after day...

AND can i come visit...i LOVE a man in uniform. total panty dropper!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

O. M. G.

(i agree with the work relationship thing...said pot to kettle.)

8:28 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Hee. You have Flyboy and I have Flyby. I take it both of them are pilots?

8:30 PM  
Blogger allan said...

RJ: You can come visit me anytime, I think I still have my crossing guard uniform from grade school ;)

8:55 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Thank you for your concern, readers. I have convinced myself that I can handle this, partially because I know this person will be leaving my workplace in January (for a drier desert-like climate) - yikes, a total rationalization. And it's not a relationship, is what I keep telling myself... however, today I did find myself thinking about all the things I like about him even though he doesn't fit my typical picture of "the one". Double yikes. Yes, FB is in the aviation world, but a backseater, so not really a pilot (maybe a wanna-be =).

9:50 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

PS - RJ, you and RD can visit anytime. I can introduce you to any number of men in uniform (FBs and wanna-bes) as long as you can deal with the Top Gun attitude. You can pretend to pull rank, call them "Lieutenant" and put your Charlie glasses on for a little while. =)

9:59 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

do they play volleyball with their shirts off? if not, i don't think i can commit to a visit.

6:55 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

just be careful with your heart! and i look fab in charlie glasses!

thanks for the offer allan :D

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home