Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, December 15, 2006

Blue crush.

The phrase used to describe when one has a crush almost immediately after a breakup (ie when you’re blue).

Some people call it a rebound. As hottie Jim said last night on The Office, a rebound “can be a really fun distraction. But, when it’s over, you’re really thinking about the girl you really like. The one that broke your heart.”

I have a blue crush. Soon, huh? Another work person, of course, because that appears to be my M.O. Like I didn’t learn my lesson from Him and RCB. But this one seems different. Weeks ago, he expressed interest in me to a mutual friend. Not sure if she told him my status (because, as far as she knew, it was precarious at best). Saw him at the party last night. We might have danced (I never dance. And I wasn’t even drinking.). He might have even twirled me. Maybe he got me a drink and, before he went to get it, said, “don’t move, I’ll be right back.” Perhaps, today, we emailed back and forth.

An easy distraction? An insecure search for attention? A desperate attempt to feel wanted and cute and wanted and fun and wanted?

Maybe, if you knew that I saw RCB yesterday, that we spent over an hour, in my office, talking (really talking), your opinion would change. (Unfortunately, RCB’s opinion has not changed. But our conversation was good nevertheless. And worthy of a blog entry in the near future.)

But for now, let’s just crush. It’s way more fun.

10 Comments:

Blogger Red Photography said...

Two words for you: Work. It. Why the hell not? Rebound crushes are among the best perks of being newly single.

9:32 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Very interesting, I like the term.

My problem (since I am not rebounding at all right now-*sigh*, nothing to rebound FROM!) is the never ending crush. What's with me and never getting over someone? Sheesh!

10:03 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

I was hoping that you saw that episode! Cracked me up. Yay, I say enjoy him for all he's worth. The rebound can be a lot of fun, just don't let it go too far unless he has some real potential.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

Sounds like he might be looking to be a little more than a crush. :)

2:31 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

Wow... you really like to live on the edge, don't you? Risky.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

lmnt, is that sarcasm i sense? :-)

2:33 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:33 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

Not at all -- that was aimed at the idea of dating someone from work. Pretty much ALWAYS a bad idea. And this is coming from a guy who dated his (12 years my senior) boss for 3 years back in the day...

...and by "dated," of course, I mean "both got really drunk and had crazy sex all night 3 times a week (or more) and denied there was anything more than friendship there whenever we were sober," but same diff, right?

9:30 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

I disagree. You can rarely generalize... I know plenty of successful couples who met through work, there are obvious benefits to having certain aspects of your life in common. Though the boss/subordinate idea might definitely be a bad idea (case in point, my fwb)... Actually in a company as large as RDs (we're talking thousands of people), where you might have little to no work-related interaction with the blue crush, I say the workplace is a great place to meet people, especially the "blue crush".

9:07 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

Ah, I had no idea her company was so large. Mine only has about 25 employees, so I see everybody daily. I guess that flavors my perspective... probably not such a big deal if the person can be avoided in the event things get messy.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home