Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Letting him in.

There comes a time in every relationship when boundaries disappear and your world turns into his and vice versa. I think that time has come with me and RCB.

You all know, by now, that we are pretty much inseparable. Spending every day and night together is great. We are comfortable around each other and have developed a routine. One that includes him having to be buzzed into my building every time he comes "home" because he doesn't have a key.

He doesn't have a key.

Now, here's the interesting thing: my phone, my access to the buzzer that opens the door for him, died an early death yesterday. RIP. I don't feel like going to get a new one. The phone being dead, mind you, obviously does not preclude him from getting upstairs. We're smart kids who aren't entirely incapable of seeing alternatives.

He can call my cell and say he's downstairs. He can throw pebbles at my window or serenade me from the front steps. Or, he can accept a set of keys.

Is it too soon to offer these keys to my kingdom? Does offering them extend to him the idea that this relationship is moving into a new realm? He gladly accepted a parking sticker so that he's not stopped and accosted every time he attempts to drive through the gates. But are keys different?

5 Comments:

Blogger spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

I think this logistical problem necessitates giving him a key. And you are obviously comfortable with the idea, so tonight when he calls you to "let him in", just hand him a key to your place.

Just don't put it on your bright pink heart key chain....

1:58 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

haha. great advice.

yeah go ahead and give it.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I debate the same issues. It seems natural when it makes things more simple (hey, could you feed the cat while I'm gone, or come on in so I don't have to leave a trail of water from the shower to the door). I always wonder though...is convenience a good enough reason?

Despite that, I think with as much time as you two spend together, it's probably more than mere convenience. Have you two at least discussed or joked about it before?

5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can only relate my own experience. after dating 13 months, on valentines day, i received some beautiful jewelry (which i could care less about). no key, no garage door opener, nothing but a drawer in his dresser. and i periodically hinted for those others items, and got told by him that he's not getting married again. so i took the leap. i dumped him. imho, he was just not that into me. and as a mature adult, i don't want to pretend that we have a secure relationship when, in fact, we don't.
those are my 2 cents.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi everyone,

I just designed a new dating website that I hope you will enjoy. It will go live in about 2 months.

Meet-n-speak.com

I put a new twist to online dating--the ability to speak to other members--right from your own computer.

If you find someone you like, you can request to voice chat with them if they are online.


All you need is a mic and headphones.

There is no cost. Ever! 100% free.

check it out!

Again, I am going live in 2 months but I want to have members create their profiles beforehand.

Have fun!

Thanks!

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home