Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Missed anniversaries.

In an effort to gather thoughts and experiences so that I would have blog fodder (I'm assuming my fellow blogettes (AHEM) are doing the same...) I completely missed the one year anniversary of PWM.

Oh how far we've come. Or at least how far I've come.

In a little over a month, I will be celebrating the anniversary of my first (of only two) online dates. Before that, as you know, my dating prospects had been brought to me by family, friends and my place of work. The internet did not bode any better, but I stuck it out through six long months of membership.

In this past year, perhaps among the most eventful of my life, so much has transpired. I signed up for online dating, despite my extreme vehemence to do so. I exchanged emails and winks and flirty banter with strangers. I went on two dates and accepted the fact that email personalities and real life ones are often drastically different. I mastered the art of e-flirting. I helped coordinate awesome sounding dates that never came to be and accepted that, sometimes, people just fall off the face of the earth. And that's okay.

I started a dating blog, which isn't as anonymous as I first anticipated it to be. I defended myself against commenters who knew not me nor my situation but still felt the need to comment on my life. I re-entered the real life dating world, albeit with a former participant. I dated. I learned to let people in. I learned how to deal when those who were let in decided they wanted out. And how to accept them back into my life.

I learned how to communicate better, with friends and beaus. I learned how to sit back and enjoy things for what they were. I tried to learn how to not overanalyze and not try to extract meaning from every word and deed. I learned that it is very easy to convince yourself you are in a good and healthy relationship but it takes actually being in one to grasp the fact that, all those other times, you were deluding yourself.

I learned when it was appropriate to share the goings on in my love life and when it was better to keep things to myself. I learned that true friends love you no matter what and will support you through most of your tribulations but oftentimes have a harder time forgiving and forgetting than you do--but that, eventually, they will come around.

I learned and fully understand that relationships take work--a lot of it--and those who say they don't or they shouldn't are fooling themselves. But I also learned that the work you put in, when it pays off, is worth all the trouble and heartache it took you to get to that point.

Happy belated anniversary, PWM.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Relationships are work, but they should never be hard. If they are, they have to go out with the trash, because that's just what they are. Congratulations on your growth...

8:59 AM  
Blogger spark! (Ada-Marie) said...

All of my relationships are hard work, from my husband, to my parents, to my girlfriends. And I cherish each one of them.

When a relationship is not worth the hard work, and over time, you are giving much more than receiving, I agree, "they have to go out with the trash."

Or as my mother says, "I fired her."

10:24 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

i'll post tonight my year of reflections.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I just had my blogger-b-day too...funny how a blog will help you recall what actually happened over the course of one year. I think it helps to put things in perspective.

Happy Blog-day and here's to one more!!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

Only one post in the last 2.5 weeks? :-)

Surely someone has something interesting to post ... I need my regular fix.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home