Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

A lost cause?

I'm going to try, yet again, to bring this puppy back to life.

I bet you've all forgotten about this blog. I almost had, myself, even though it was my brainchild almost two years ago. It's a shame, because it did at one time bring me (and my fellow bloggers, don't deny it) an anonymous outlet to discuss our romantic happenings (and mishappenings and, lbh, unhappenings). It was therapeutic for me to use this arena as a means of helping myself figure out what was going on in my so-called love life. Back in the beginning, there was a lot of [melo]drama--admittedly, lots of it self-created.

This started as a chronicle of online dating recaps. It wasn't long ago that Objection and I were single girls about town, flitting and floating from one forced social event to another, trying to find our place, our way, in a world we thought we wanted to be a part of. Little did we know that the world of bars and beverages, of smoke filled rooms and nights that end as the sun come up was not the place we wanted to be.

In a little over a month, RCB and I will have been together [for real] for a year. I am just going to come and say "nanny nanny boo boo" to all you naysayers out there who warned me against giving him another chance, who advised me that people don't change, that they can't change. I am here to tell you that you were wrong.

And now I will step of my "I told you so" soapbox and revel in the moment. We have had a great almost year. At the risk of sounding trite (and thus losing the seven readers I may or may not still have), I can say I've learned a lot about myself and what I want; I've learned what I am willing to put up with and what I'm not; I've learned to accept people's flaws and bask in their differences--of opinion, of lifestyle, of taste in movies; I've come to realize that love and life are worth the challenges they both inevitably put in your path and how you navigate that path is the biggest challenge of all. However, the most important lesson I've learned is from my good friend the Desperate Housewife (hi, DH!)...no matter how good, strong or safe a relationship, it is never without work. A relationship that doesn't take work is a passive one where neither party is being "real."

As RCB himself told me, after an atypical spat (for which he deserved my consternation): "You can't expect to be happy with me all the time. You have to get mad sometimes. If you don't, then this is not real."

I guess this blog really doesn't have a point. And, for that, I am sorry. I just felt the sudden urge to get back out there, much like the urge to start this blog was a reaction to getting back "out there" and into the world of dating.

So, I welcome myself back, I hope we still have at least a small following and wonder if my favorite gals will take my lead and start posting--if not often, at least occasionally.

1 Comments:

Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Old time bloggers are making a comeback all over the place!! Welcome back :)

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home