Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, April 09, 2007

White is the New Brown.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for golf. If it were not for The Masters and four and a half hours of languid play, I don't know if RCB would have made it through (or, at least made it through as unscathed) the brown heavy Easter extravaganza.

Yes, folks, he made it through. I guess I don't give him enough credit--or I think too discriminately about and critically of my family. But, lbh, they've never been rude or unwelcoming to a stranger.

He sat on the couch and watched golf with the men folk, talking about it and commenting as necessary. He introduced himself to all newcomers (and, true to stereotype, many family members were late, so this was an ongoing activity) and did not act surprised when some pulled out the double kiss/hug combo as opposed to the handshake. He impressed the grandmother by "knowing" (ha) how to properly dip his pita bread into his hummus. He ate all that was offered to him, whether it was the first time or hundredth.

Good thing there were other white kids there to quell the obvious cultural differences. LC showed up post dinner and gave two of the best quotes of the day:
  1. While walking around and doing the traditional double kiss/hug (it was a special occasion), she got to RCB and said "eh, you're white."
  2. After being labeled the "other white girl in the family," she said, "White is the new brown."

So now, friends, I just hope to be able to acclimate into the RCB family this weekend. I'm a bit nervous, and I've relayed my slight apprehension to RCB. He said they'll love me. Hopefully, he is right...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Wrong--Brown is the New Brown! Holler at the Middle East!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

Glad he made it! I'm sure they'll love you.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home