Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, May 18, 2007

After Action Report

That's military for AAR, i.e. what happened when Dr. S tried to get back into the dating game... The good news is that it went well, very well. If nothing else, this was a boost to my confidence that I surely needed. NYB and I did meet for a late lunch and drinks, which extended into meeting up with his roommates and a movie, and a little more than that later on... but not too much more. This guy proved to be way more interesting than I remembered as he has led quite an interesting life to this point. His parents manage a funeral home in the Bronx, and I am a doctor exposed to some pretty morbid things at times, so we had some interesting laughs. Refreshingly, he was also really into hearing about me, and noticing the things that make me tick (as opposed to last few months of dating flyboy). The worst trait I could see in him was a compulsive drive to clean, something I can definitely deal with as I admittedly have a bit of OCD of my own.

The funny (or at least, blog-worthy) part of our date for me was when it got to the not much more part, before I could even bring up doing or not doing more than making out during a movie. While we were still "hanging out", he blurted out the fact that he had only "been" with one woman in the past, one who at the time he believed he was going to marry, and who broke his heart about a year and a half ago by leaving him when the military moved him to another state. He wants to save that experience for his future wife, but emphasized that he had been very interested in me since we had first met two years ago. Weird or cute? I thought mostly the latter but a little bit of the former... let's face it, as a late bloomer who didn't really date seriously until graduate school, I'm sort of used to drawing the line myself. Is something wrong with me for previously having assumed that a guy would never be the first to say we shouldn't, you know, yet? After all, this was just a first date. I'm not sure whether there will be more to come or not due to our newfound geographic distance. Ideally, I'd love to get to know him better, even if it's online or over the phone, and see whether anything develops. DC is a great place to visit (yes, RJ, you should come!). For now, I'm keeping my mind and my heart open to all the possibilities...

3 Comments:

Blogger romance junkie said...

oh i'm so glad you had a grat night. open hearts and minds usually bring us options...and i'm a BIG FAN of options.

i'm going to shoot for the fall...i am actually going to hong kong over the summer so i have to wait and see how much money i blow over there!

or you guys could always come here....

10:42 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

make that a "great" night!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Princess Pointful said...

Just found your blog!

It is certainly nice to be on the same page and know that you and him are both not just looking for something casual.
However, if it were me, I'd worry a little about the (stupid, I know!!!) gender role thing getting to me if I wanted to "do it" (God, I'm immature! Do it?) first and he wasn't there yet. I guess I would just take it as more of a personal rejetion than I probably should.

He sounds sweet, though!

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home