Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Another Public Service Announcement from Princess 1

So, in a recent article, the good people at Match.com attempted to assist Match participants in displaying the perfect profile photo. And, LBH, based on some of the photos I've observed, this may be in order. I'm not sure why men think it's okay to pose with obvious ex-girlfriends or in various states of intoxication, but hey...they do. Match addresses the following areas of concern:

1. Lighting
2. Direct Eye Contact
3. Clothing Selection
4. Posing for a Closeup Shot
5. Touch Ups

Sadly, the list above hardly touches upon what I see to be the greatest issues in profile photograhs. Rarely have I looked at a Match photo and thought to myself, gosh that lighting really should be a little less direct. So in the interest of public service, I provide the following advice for those of you who are considering posting a photo:

1. Wear a shirt...I mean, seriously. I don't care how frequently you work out or how "cool" you look on that beach in the Caribbean.

2. Don't pose with kids. Yes, you look adorable posing with your niece/god daughter/random and extremely photogenic child ...Absolutely adorable. But then, we fall for the trick, we e-mail with you, and you end up ultimately ignoring us and we realize you are not nice. So, don't even try to pretend you are nice by posing with children.

3. Don't pose with cats. Cats are not masculine. If you have a cat, fine...but don't submit a photo of yourself with said cat.

4. Don't submit Glamour-shot type photos. If you are wearing the same outfit in every shot and are posed in a variety of unnatural ways with a very neutral and non-descript background, I'm going to realize you went to the mall and had photos done for your profile. I appreciate the "effort", but it's a little over the top.

5. Don't submit photos in which you are posing with a group of guy friends. This confuses me. Because I don't "know" you it can be tricky to pick out who you are. Also, frequntly I might think your guy friends are cute too and wonder -- now why aren't they on Match? So if you must pose with guy friends, at least attempt to pose with guy friends who are unattractive. (I'm kidding here BTW).

I would further note that the article does not address the issue of utilizing DMV photographs for purposes of profile shots. As we've seen, perhaps they should have cautioned against this...obviously some people, seem to think this is a good idea. But, you all know my thoughts on this topic already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home