Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Update You've Been Waiting For.

Fear not dear readers. I was not abducted by my date of Thursday night. Nor have I run off to Vegas to marry him. No, alas, I was merely swamped with work yesterday and did not have a moment to recount the events of the prior evening. Leaving one's office at 8:45 on a Friday night is not very conducive to dating.

So, the date. I met said environmental engineer for "coffee and conversation" (thank you Match.com) after work on Thursday. The evening started out as a lovely, warm early spring evening in the District. Seated outside at a trendy D.C. cafe, we chatted, moving with relative ease from topic to topic. Seemingly, he found me amusing and LBH, I can't date someone who does not. We imbibed coffee, we ate dessert, all seemed to be going well. Then, I made what I think may have been a fatal misake. An hour and a half into the evening, I asked for a refill. Now, to be fair, the conversation was flowing really well. It seemed logical to ask for an additional cup of my favorite warm beverage as a means of extending said conversation. What I didn't notice until much too late was that the environmental engineer (hereinafter referred to as "EE"), was freezing. He was miserably cold. And, so he shivered as we awaited the arrival of my hot beverage, he shivered as I attempted to drink said beverage in a hasty manner without seeming rude, he shivered as we awaited the bill. Yes, my friends, he was miserable. For that, I feel a bit guilty, but then I have a tremendous capacity for guilt (thanks mom).

Did my simple desire for a final cup of coffee "ruin" my chances at future contact with EE? Probably not. But, even if it did, I am far from distraught. This is the beauty of Internet dating. For every first date that never develops into a second, there's another first date waiting in your inbox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home