Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Continuing the Shopping Analogy.

Recently, while chatting with Reluctant Dater, I became aware of a feature on Match certainly worthy of some attention. This feature is referred to as "See More Like Him." Allow me to explain. Let's say you conduct a search and find a guy of interest. You click on said guy's profile and peruse it. At the conclusion of the profile, Match gives you the option to "See More Like Him."

As Reluctant Dater and I discussed this feature, I was struck with the knowledge that I had seen this same feature in another context. But where? And then, I realized why this concept was so familiar. I'm sure all of you fellow bookworms have already guessed where I'm going with this: Amazon.com. When attempting to select that perfect next novel, Amazon will show you other books similar to those in which you've expressed an interest. Match.com seems to have adopted this concept...and, admittedly it may be a bit concerning. People, unlike books, are not fungible. And, while one person may be similarly interested in two books about cupcakes, it is not logical to conclude that one person may be similarly interested in two guys just because they both like long walks on the beach and golf.

Am I somewhat surprised that picking a future significant other is not unlike shopping for reading material? Not at all. My counterpart, Reluctant Dater, compared online dating to shopping in a previous blog entry. And, as I excel in the art of shopping, I have no doubt that I can become equally skilled in this new form of shopping. I refuse, however, to look at the clearance rack.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is a great read; interesting idea, very well written.

"I think we would get along good."

I may use that line as the signature on my email this week. It's just too funny. Did you respond?

4:32 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

of course not!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home