Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Safety First.

Apparently, our friends at Match.com are concerned about our safety. So much so, in fact, that they have a list of safety precautions.

And here they are:

1. Start Slow. They say some people may be too good to be true. They must be thinking about that one guy—you know, the one who volunteered in the Peace Corps, helped revive an African village’s main crop, who likes to take unexpected weekend road trips and likes sitting around on Sunday morning reading the paper at Starbucks. His best friend is his best friend’s young child because he recognizes the importance of a child’s innocence. He’s the one who wants to travel the world and take you with him because you are and always will be his best friend/confidante/lover/princess.

2. Guard You Anonymity. Tell that to the guy(s) who just send me their cell phone numbers so I can give them a call so we can meet up and chat because I’m awesome and it’s obvious we have a lot in common.

3. Exercise Caution and Common Sense. I just have to copy what they say, it’s too good not to: “Careful, thoughtful decisions generally yield better dating results. Guard against trusting the untrustworthy; suitors must earn your trust gradually, through consistently honorable, forthright behavior. Take all the time you need to test for a trustworthy person and pay careful attention along the way. If you suspect someone is lying, he or she probably is, so act accordingly. Be responsible about romance, and don’t fall in love at the click of a mouse. Don’t become prematurely intimate with someone, even if that intimacy only occurs online. If you mutually decide to cross the point of no return, be smart and protect yourself. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provide some of the most current information available about sexually transmitted diseases and preserving your health.”

4. Do A Little Digging (a.k.a. be a stalker).

5. Request a Photo. Amen to that. They say to do it because pictures allow you to have a gut reaction. Um, exactly. And sadly, a gut reaction may cause you to decline further electronic advances. But that’s the way the cookie crumbles, I suppose.

6. Chat on the Phone. I’d recommend this, too…however, good phone and email chemistry does not guarantee a good personal/physical chemistry. See blog about Date #1.

7. Meet When YOU Are Ready. I actually had someone ask me, in an email, if it was too soon to meet. Aww, how cute, right?

8. Watch For Red Flags. This one is written for me. I think it should say “Do not IGNORE red flags.” I watch for them all the time. I acknowledge them. Then I take them and put them right up on my flagpole.

9. Meet in a Safe Place. Tell 100 friends where you are going (and what you will be eating). Don’t feel bad about saying you’ll meet him there, as that allows you to leave on your own and immediately dial abovementioned friends to tell them all about the date. “When the timing is appropriate, thank your date for getting together and say goodbye.” Haha, no making out.

10. Take Extra Caution Outside Your Area. Whoa whoa whoa…people really do meet people in other cities. Sordid! Adventurous!

11. Get Yourself Out of a Jam. I don’t run away or excuse myself to the bathroom. No, my friends, my MO for getting out of a situation quickly is to give off my famous vibe. You know, the one that says, “I’m nice and polite but I don’t want to make out with you now or ever.”

Nice how the majority of the “advice” given in this article centers around reminding you to use your best judgment. Way to put the impetus on us to decide whether a situation is safe. Talk about CYA.

1 Comments:

Blogger danielobvt said...

Guys (at least from my opinion as one) tend to take less care on the Anonymity thing.... Overall its the guys that are the stalkers, and of course we have this big ego that a woman stalking us is nothing to be concerned about (ie, I am 6ft, trained in self defense, etc). I don't blame any woman from being more protective, there are a lot of wierdos out there.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home