Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, August 25, 2006

When did 2:30am become the new black?

Recently, at another tiara gal's birthday party I struck up a conversation with a not altogether bad looking man. His conversation was decent and he seemed fairly attentive. But as the party went on...and the crowd became smaller and more intimate...and i had not spoken to him in hours... he made no indication he would leave. No one still partying/standing knew him...which made it very clear he was staying for me. Which was lame. When 5:30am my sidekick and I decided it was time to head home and of course stop by the 7-11 for a pressed cuban..i know...but they are so yummy late night...we all do it in these parts..maybe the heat has gotten to us. He, of course, followed us out and after standing there awkwardly while we walked away called out could he get my number. For some reason, I always give my number. I need to pick someone I dislike and start giving their number.

We, well my dd sidekick not I, pulled into the 7-11 and low and behold, i have a text. Very short. Just saying he had a good night and hope I got home safe...okay. that's okay. of course, i did not respond.

So then no call through the week. Which was actually okay and I was thinking I was in the clear (btw did i mention he is younger..this was determined by sidekick the party evening and relayed to rj after the 7-11 text...we know my rules)

no such luck.

he texts me the next saturday at 2:30am. Waking me up. Annoying.

How is this appropriate? Not once in the 20 minute conversation we had at the party did I say "oh I'm up late every night" or "i'm a huge partier" or "it is okay to text me in middle of night"

Anyone who knows me would not call/text anything at this time. I go to bed early. I like my sleep.

I would never EVER In a million years call someone in the middle of the night that I had never had a daytime conversation with and/or spent anytime with learning their habits.

Beyond RUDE.

Is this something the young kids ae doing these days?

4 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

haha, rj, when you said you left with your sidekick, i thought you meant a tangible sidekick, not a person sidekick. i was all, like, "dude, rj is hip like paris and lindsay!"

1:08 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

ps i follow your rules, as well (though it's not hard for the "taller" requirement, as i am very challeneged in the height department), but there is a HOTTIE here at work...who i recently found out (don't ask how) is a golf buddy of RCB. ha. my mom was even like, "who's he, he's hot!" i said, "he's 25." she said, "so what! have fun." hahaha.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Carrie Broadshoulders said...

Well you know my deal on text messaging. :) Clearly if this is how he chooses to communicate right off the bat, you can bet if he chooses to break up with you if you start dating, it could very well end the same way it began! Beware!!

2:08 PM  
Blogger Freckled K said...

I went on one date with a much, much younger man who, in the weeks following our date, communicated with me solely through after-Midnight text messages. After turning down repeated late-night requests to meet up, I decided to put a stop to it. I texted him (which is funny, in that I'm not the texting type) an ultimatum of sorts, "If you would like to see me again, you will need to PHONE me and ask me out on a DATE." Of course, I never heard from him again, but no skin off my back. You have to teach people how to treat you, and I didn't want to be treated as a drunken afterthought.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home