Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Chemistry 101

So, we all know that I have recently re-entered the world of on-line dating. With a new service of choice selected, I carefully created a profile and prepared myself for e-jection, cheesy e-mailing, and uncomfortable first dates (you know the kind...you arrive first, despite attempts to be late and then realize as you approach the venue (1) that you aren't sure you'll recognize the date upon arrival and (2) that should restaurant staff inquire as to the name in which the table might be reserved, you do not know your date's last name).

I'm going to have to concur a bit with the comments received re: new dating service of choice. I'm receiving a fair number of matches. But, the process is almost painfully slow. I mean, I need a bit of a break from relationship world, but I would like to go on a date or two at some point. Also, once I reach a certain point in communication, I seem to lose guys left and right. Guys seem to hate the short answer portion of the program.

The photo thing hasn't been a problem. I've made mine available right away, and most guys have too. I've also refused to communicate with those guys who do not post photos. Is this shallow? Perhaps. But, hey I've put myself out there. They should too.

Another issue is that I seem to be repeatedly matched with people who are extremely religious. Now, I was raised going to church and still will attend church when I visit my parents. But, I don't wear my faith on my sleeve. It's not the first thing I mention upon meeting someone. Politics and religion are for 4th or 5th dates.

Because I'm somewhat frustrated and annoyed, I've started researching another on-line service...Chemistry.com. Run by the same folks as Match, it follows the model of matching you to others. There's no searching of profiles. So, my question is as follows has anyone out there tried Chemistry?

5 Comments:

Blogger danielobvt said...

Its definately slower. But I will give it props in that it does a fairly acceptable job at matching. It does make the whole searching thing a lot less overwhelming, in that you only get 3-5 matches a day in addition to any potential interested users(makes you slow down and consider each person a little more than you would on match). Though I too pretty much discard anyone who doesn't put up a pic. (come on, its not that hard and you already put yourself this far forward, whats holding you from that last step?) Of course I got lucky in that I was a beta tester so as long as I pay for match I get chemistry for free.....

9:50 AM  
Blogger Objection said...

Thanks Daniel. I appreciate the feedback. This whole Internet dating thing can always be a little overwhelming...so any insight is always welcomed. I wasn't a fan of Match (though, LBH, it did result in a five + month relationship within less than a week). I'm interested in trying something new.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out Rate or Date. I think it's www.rateordate.com. They have all kinds of reviews of various online dating services.

Good Luck!

1:15 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

great post. my friend and i are awaiting to hear all about your experiences. she took the plunge with match.com adn agrees that our "town" is too small...you get the same matches over and over...

maybe they all will turn out that way...but we are going to keep trying.

she's way more adventurous than i...and she lets me log on to her match and check out what is out there:D

7:17 PM  
Blogger allan said...

I have been using EH for a while and I find the same thing: there are a lot of people who are hyper-religious. I have been told that this is intentional marketing on the part of EH.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home