Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

He Broke Up With Me BEFORE the First Date Only He Forgot to Tell Me

As I sit on my couch this evening watching recorded Dancing with the Stars my mind wandered over dates I've gone on recently...which lead to thoughts of dates of past and for some reason THIS DATE popped in my head. It was years ago, in a different city...even a different state...but it ranks up there with one of the best dates that never really happened.

I was so excited. He was coming over for dinner. We had started as friends with a mild flirtation...which turned into a major flirtation...and oh so naughty IMs. But it was the night! My roommate was out of town and the apartment was mine. We talked and confirmed the night before...I had the menu planned perfectly and we were going to watch Four Weddings and A Funeral...one of my favorites...and he was easily conned into agreeing since he had not seen the film. (NO I'm not that age...the movie had been out for years by this point)

He showed...but it was strained. He ate and while conversed was quieter than normal. I chalked it up to nerves as this was the first thing that could be considered a "date". We started the movie half way through the meal (his suggestion) and when it was over he jumped up and said he had to go. I was shocked (devastated) but played breezy and walked him to the door. He gave me a stiff hug and ran down the stairs.

The next day he posted on a website that our mutual friends were part of that prior to "our date" he had received a package from his ex with a ring and asking him to call. He called her and she asked him to marry her. He said yes. He didn't know what to do so he came over for dinner and a movie...oh and by the way sorry RJ.

Would that this had been the end of "us".

Don't worry dear readers, I will fill you in on this saga...it only gets better and the ending is spectacular in a bizarre surreal way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

what? i was out of town? where was i?

haha, reading this reminded me of all of this dude's red flags...like when we went to the outer banks...or, the mere name of his intended. HA.

if, of course, this is the guy i'm thinking of.

6:37 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

hahah...it is and i had TOTALLY FORGOTTEN about the Outer Banks part of the story!!!! OMG...he is a red flag feature.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Objection said...

I cannot wait to hear the rest of the saga.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home