Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

On football and Tivo.

I'm not really a guys' girl. I won't pretend to be. Sure, I'll sit and watch a golf tournament or a basketball game (preferably college, please) on television if someone I am interested in wants to do so. And I will feign interest (I've been known to even have favorite players and teams). But, on a normal basis, I'd rather watch 90210 or Oprah reruns. It's just who I am.

So that makes last night even more interesting. With no real plans on the plate last night, I accepted an invitation from a couple of my married friends to go over to their place and watch Monday Night Football; my friend C was going, too.

We had a delicious dinner and caught up on all that has been going on in our lives (ie my life, and RCB) and then we headed downstairs, where Tivo had so nicely paused kickoff for us. So we're watching and chatting, chatting and watching, when all of a sudden C turns to me, as I turn to her, and we both say, "OMG OMG OMG, is that Him???"

"Who," the marrieds ask.

"OMG," I replied.

Thanks, Tivo, for allowing us to rewind. And watch in slow motion as we positively identified the jersey wearing, screaming fan as Him.

Slow motion is really slow. Really. Slow. And there he was, before my eyes. While I was "affected" by this whole thing, it was not in a way that I would have expected. I didn't have the urge to pick up the phone and text message him, saying "I just saw you on tv (three times)." I didn't begin composing a sassy, cute email in my head to be sent the next morning.

All I thought was, "Dude, he's probably there by himself or with some random friends," along with "WTF are the chances, seriously?"

And there I sat, with three of the greatest people in the world, doing something I don't like to do, but having, nevertheless, the time of my life.

I think I win. Again.

2 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

It's always so nice when you realize that you're really over him, isn't it? You do win. Again.

8:38 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, I love Tivo.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home