Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Now I get it.

I’m a dating blog connoisseur. I read blogs not only because I often have time to do so, but also because I can relate to them.

I now understand why some bloggers (Objection included) shy away from writing about good dating experiences. I think I might want to keep it to myself (and, lbh, I have the same irrational fear that someway, somehow, he will see it).

But I’ll give some scoop, if only to have a written record of this to remind me in the future of my past adventures (and this is so much easier than a handwritten journal).

As you know, I had dinner at RCB’s house on Saturday night. He made a delicious, thought out meal and our evening was filled with food, drink and good conversation. Among the things that impressed me (and there were many) was the fact that he had, on hand, a brand new bottle of my favorite alcohol infused liquid. This was impressive mostly because, though I was with the last ahole for over seven months (and all of our dates consisted of going to a bar), He never knew what I wanted to drink (let alone that I have drinks for the seasons) and always, in fact, ordered me tequila (my nemesis) because He liked it. That narcissism diagnosis is looking more and more accurate.

For the hours (and hours) I was there on Saturday, I was somewhat able to erase from my mind the existence of anyone else in his life. For that time, I was the only female in whom he was interested (and, we’re still just assuming that there are others). He was kind and sweet and entertaining and attentive. And cute.

In discussing the situation with my mother (of all people) she made me realize many things—all of which were amazingly on point and none of which I expected to come from her mouth.

She is very pro-RCB, despite knowing pretty much the entire history of the relationship. Shocking.

But, after Saturday, I’m pretty pro-RCB, too. Let’s hope he’s pro-RD, or on his way to being so.

10 Comments:

Blogger romance junkie said...

whoa. did you take dessert? or were you dessert?;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

both?

1:47 PM  
Blogger allan said...

It's amazing how much the little touches count. A couple of months ago I made dinner for woman. I knew what her tastes in wine were, but we had never gone out drinking, so I had no idea what she liked outside of wine.

One of her friends told me what her favorite mixed drink was. I googled the recipe, picked out the best gin (Bombay Sapphire) and made it for her to sip on while I was finishing dinner.

6:20 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

allan i knew i liked you. spread the word man..spread the word

8:54 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Thanks RJ, it is actually funny because I seem very confident when I am out on a date, but I can go crazy prepping for it, so everything goes well.

I tried speed dating for the first time this weekend. I spent a couple of hours googling "speed dating questions" to come up with the perfect list :).

10:32 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

oh, i HATED speed dating. hated. it. my experience might make a good blog posting, though...

how was it for you, allen?

7:28 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

oh i can't wait to hear! i want to speed date...i may have to talk my buddy "z" into it...

2:30 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

do you not remember my stalker? or the dude who was so horrible i said, "the bachelor starts in 30 minutes, i really should go?" or, the best, the guy who, during our 3 minutes, asked me my name and country of origin. after telling him, he said, "well, my last name is [insert stereotypical last name of someone who is historically an "enemy" of my peeps]. i don't think this is going to work out."

5:29 PM  
Blogger allan said...

Speed dating was a good ego boost for me :). Whatever foilables I may have (and there are many ;)) I can proudly state that I did not wear a blue polyster suit to the speed date, I also did not sport a comb-over :).

There were some very nice women there. There was also one spent most of the four minutes explaining how Tauruses and Libras were in sync or something like that. Another spent most of the 4 minutes explaining how fabric softener was a plot by the man to drive up our laundry costs. And one refused to give longer than one word answers.

Of the 15 women who were there, 5 seemed like they would be fun and 3 of those 5 apparently thought the same thing about me...so not too bad.

The only question I have is this: Does the 4-minute date count toward the 3 date rule ;)?

11:53 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Hehhe...dessert.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home