Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Bringing Blogging Back

I join the chorus of appreciation that RD is feeling better and profusely apologize for temporarily abandoning "Playing with Matches" in her absence. So, I am bringing blogging back, Justin Timberlake style.

Because this is my first post, allow me to introduce myself. I am a twenty something (ok, fine almost thirty) who has been married for four years, but with the same S.O. for almost ten years. Because I met my husband when I was 19 and have been off the dating scene for so long, I learn so much from my single friends about dating in the new millenium.

For example, many of my single friends have told me about the new phenomenon of men "trimming" their body hair - from their chest hair to their (uh, hem) pubic hair. This was fascinating to me - I am shocked that so many men take the time to coif their unmentionable body parts. Do they think it will be more attractive? Appear bigger? Is there any ettiquette out there on this? We women have the "bikini wax" option at the spa and SI swimsuit edition to let us know what is and isn't acceptable, but where did this male trend originate? Do they have "special clippers" for their nether-region? I have so many questions and a very clueless hubby on this topic.

Also, since 1997 (!!), online dating has become the norm and a whole lexicon and set of manners has developed around this trend. My 58 year old mother (who is single, but "going steady"with her "beau") explained "winking" to me. "You really should only wink at someone that you will accept a date with, because it's very poor form to wink at someone and then turn down a date." Ummm, really? Also, I hear that people can magically detect when you have been looking at their webpage even if you don't "wink" at them, so anonymous stalking on dating websites is impossible, as well as completely taboo.

Wow, I am so out of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

dear grasshopper,

i'm glad that my dating adventures and misfortunes and all that i learn and continue to learn along the way serve as blog fodder (and enlighten you on the hell that is dating in the new millenium.

i will continue to do my best to broaden your horizons.

muchos besos,
rd

11:14 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I had to comment because just this week I was told "I trimmed it today. I think it makes it look bigger."

Um, ok. So prior to this I was unable to see the massiveness due to the forest? I just kind of laughed under my breath...whatever makes him feel better. Who am I to complain when it does make things neater.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home