Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

I've got a vision of love.

I see how it is. RD disappears for a while and Playing With Matches goes to crap. Girls, come on. Where are you? Where have you gone? Where is your commitment?

Seriously, though, I shouldn’t complain. You all are committed. You all are wonderful, caring individuals. And you all (and others like you) showed me, during my hiatus, just what love and friendship really are and mean.

This is not an open letter of friendship to my fellow bloggers but, rather, an exposition on a realization that I came to this week. My so called hiatus was not one that was anticipated or even planned. I found myself celebrating New Year’s Eve not with a beau or even with friends. No, friends, I spent my time welcoming in the new year in the operating room having emergency surgery. All is well, do not fret. Things were rough going for a while. But it was during that time, no matter how cheesy it sounds, that I realized what love and what commitment really are.

Love is a call to check in, to see how you are feeling. Love is a frantic phone call, worrying about your well-being. Love is dropping all plans and sitting in the waiting room, hoping and praying that you will get through this. Love is telling someone how much you scared them and asking them to never do that again. Love is text messages sent at all hours of the day, whether the last one went answered or not, just to tell you someone is thinking about you and sending good wishes your way. Love is bouquets of flowers and bouquets of cookies and bouquets of balloons. Love is sitting with you while you recover, even though you’re not saying anything and hospitals are gross places. Love is asking, over and over, what you can do for someone, even though you know the answer will be “nothing.” Love is DVDs and Sudoku books and stuffed animals (even though you are—ahem—almost 30). Love is taking care of business for you when such business is in need of being taken care of. Love is the sound of your voice on the phone when you find out bad news, and the subsequent relief that is audible when you realize everything is going to be okay. Love is giving up your own comforts so that those of others can be met. Love is undying commitment to the happiness and well being of someone other than yourself.

For a blog whose focus is, essentially, a chronicle of love and the search for it, I know this is not really a post you’d expect to see. This is not about romantic love. This is not about lust and infatuation. This is about the love that we should realize we already have in our lives, the love we don’t always appreciate and recognize even less. Perhaps it will make the search for “true love” less daunting and dubious. But maybe it will also help us all figure out that it is something that often evolves without us even realizing it, without being forced or prodded, without being overanalyzed.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, welcome back from hiatus!

12:26 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

Awwww! I'm glad you're back and okay.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

this was a really beautiful post, RD. thank goodness you're better! these moments when we recognize that we are part of a community and that we are loved within that group are gorgeously magical and heartening times.

9:32 AM  
Blogger allan said...

RD -- I am glad all is okay, it is good to know you have such warm caring friends. And, don't worry, I still lust for you :).

9:48 AM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

RD, I loved this post - I really feel honored to call someone who can interpret their illness in this sort of light my friend. I am SOO happy that you are doing better. I love you!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Abbey said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Often times it's the hardest of times that make you see the beauty in those around you.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

I, too, will leave my name among those who are happy you are back and feeling better.

And I completely agree with you on the need to remember and recognize the family-and-friendship-type love that is all around us.

10:50 PM  
Blogger LMNt said...

So we've already talked about this, but I want to add my name to the list of people who are glad you're not dead. ;-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Good LORD!
Feel better, doll!! If I could I would send you purple flowers and orange tea :)

Many hugs.

10:19 AM  
Blogger JoJo said...

I had the same revelation about love as I spent time with two of my favorite people over New Years. Hope you feel better!

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home