Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lesson Learned From an Unexpected Source -- Reality T.V.

This weekend I hapened upon a marathon of an old reality show -- My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancee. For those of you who somehow missed this show the first time around, allow me to provide a bit of an overview. The concept is relatively simple. Pretty girl (hereinafter "Bride") and Obnoxious Guy (hereinafter "Groom") attempt to convince their respective families that they (1) met on a reality dating show (2) fell in love (3) got engaged and (4) are getting married three days after announcing their engagement. The couple is horribly mismatched, thus adding to the humor of the show. If the couple successfully convinces their families that they are getting married, they each win $500,000. But, there's also a delicious bit of dramatic irony. You see, what Bride doesn't know is that Groom is actually an actor (as are his insane family members).

Bride's family is comprised of dad, mom, two brothers, and a sister. They are an extremely close and supportive family. All family members are disturbed by Bride's choice of husband. And, they voice these concerns. But, in the end, they attend the "wedding" and support her because they love her unconditionally. The show, which initially seems to focus on Groom's poor manners and inability to control his bodily functions, actually ends on a touching note.

The first time this show was televised a few years ago, I was still married to Dr. Evil. We watched it together. And, I recall being quite shocked to discover that my parents were also watching the show. Emily Post and my dad are not big reality t.v. fans, but they enjoyed this particular feature.

As I watched the series again this weekend, I suddenly was struck by the irony of my parents watching the show. You see, dear readers, my parents were not huge fans of Dr. Evil, even before the extent of his evil nature became apparent to all. Call it a sixth sense, say "father knows best" -- but they truly didn't like him. Their dislike, BTW, wasn't without reason. And, they expressed their concerns prior to the big day. But, in the end, they were there. Emily Post planned a truly beautiful wedding and dad gave his little girl away to a less than worthy recipient. They stood by me, even though they knew I was likely to get hurt. A few years later, when I called them up and told them I needed to come home, they allowed me to do so with open arms. And, when I finally decided that it was over, they supported me, and gave me hugs...they cried with me and for me. They helped me put the pieces back together. That my friends, is love.

I've spent my adult life looking for that magical love -- that storybook fantasy. I've searched for that person who completes me. Through all the ups and downs of my search, sometimes I forget that I already am tremendously blessed to have friends and family around me who love me so completely. And so, to build on one of RD's recent posts, I would like to say thank you -- to Emily Post and dad, to all the friends who listen to the tears and give advice and who are always there for me. At the end of the day, no matter what the future may hold, I am an extremely lucky girl.

4 Comments:

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

What a touching post. It's good to know that through the thick and thin of bad relationships you'll always have family and friends to support you.

And BTW: The "Big Fat Fiance" now plays Joe the Bartender on "Grey's Anatomy" (though I stopped watching eons ago when all the doctors swapped saliva and other bodily fluids with one another).

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post

9:13 AM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

Don't ever stop looking for that "magical love -- that storybook fantasy" ... no one deserves anything less!

6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely do not settle!!! But also, no one will "complete" you. You have to come as a "whole" package, and put that request for a "whole" person. If you never found someone, would you want to feel incomplete? There is so much to do before, during, and after you date that special person. There is so much you have to learn about you, and see in the world. I am 33 years old and still learning and haven't scratched the surface. Keep yourself open to new experiences, you are going to enjoy single life if you take this approach. When you do meet someone, don't let them consume your time. You are still you in a relationship. If you spend all your time together (which I am well aware, is so EASY to do in the beginning) you won't have any mystery left. Any man who says it doesn't bother him in the beginning is telling the truth. Later, it does bother them, then they say nothing.
If you are always just out of reach, though, they have no choice but to honor you. Both of you will be better off in the end...

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home