Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, October 09, 2006

When did THAT happen?

BFF and I were at the mall on Saturday going up the escalator. Going down the escalator immediately next to us was an attractive man. A very attractive man. After noticing his piercing blue eyes my own eyes went immediately to his left hand. And I started laughing.

"BFF," I said, "when did looking at the left hand become second nature?"
"I know," she said, "It's not as though, if they don't have a wedding ring, we're going to saunter up to them, bat our eyelashes and ask them out."

When did this happen? When did we start going straight for the hand? Does this mean we're old?

In speaking to another friend about this she, too, was unable to pinpoint when this began occurring but confirmed, in fact, it did. She also added another interesting point--that these ring wearing gentlemen are even more attractive because "isn't it sweet that they love someone enough and are sweet enough to commit to someone?"

Wow. What kind of world do we live in? Objection would say that it's the same world in which we say things like, "we hooked up and we weren't even drunk" because that is something that is important to make note of. Obvi.

8 Comments:

Blogger allan said...

RD: For me it happened after my divorce ;)...but I had 8 years there where I didn't have that opportunity.

I think now that we are older (some of us wayyyy older) the dating pool is smaller (but wider) so you cannot assume that the person you are slyly oogling is single as you could when you were 21.

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started looking at the left hand at about 21, always the first place I look.

7:25 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Uhm, looking at the left hand became modus operandi once I extracated myself from a messy affair with a married man. Please, no judgements on the affair. I was young and very, very stupid. I won't even date seperated guys. They have to be free and clear.

11:14 PM  
Blogger jo said...

oh man... not long ago i was just writing bout this... http://thequirkyalone.blogspot.com/2006/09/morning-rings.html

this is scary haha!

12:21 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

DUDE! i'm SO there with you! When did this happen?? It definitely means we're getting old.

Oy!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I do that all the time and I have a boyfriend! And I too think "Aw, how cute, he loves someone so much he's married her." What is wrong with us? :-)

5:06 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

I remember in college when a friend pointed out someone's wedding ring and I realized I NEVER noticed that kind of thing. Well, from then on, I did...*sigh*

8:35 PM  
Blogger Shorty said...

My new favorite thing to do when these ring-wearers smile at me:

Pick up the left hand, run my thumb across metal, smile sweetly and say, "I don't think so, buddy."

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home