Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Flirting 101.

Obeying orders from LC—and let’s not forget that it was Objection’s birthday—I hit the town last night with Objection and our Very Good Friend (VGF). Hard. And I’m happy to say it was a very successful night.

Those of you who actually know the girl known as Reluctant Dater know that I’m not much of a flirt. Especially with strangers (Stranger! Danger!). But, based on my recent melancholy stemming from low self-esteem and insecurity (thanks a lot, RCB), and after a lunchtime joint therapy session with LC and Objection, it was ascertained (ie mandated) that I needed to boost my self confidence and get out there. I was given the task of initiating conversation with at least one “strange” man. Yikes.

No one was telling me to forge a new relationship or forget about the one I have. I was just tasked with getting out there and being the nice, fun, sassy, friendly girl that I am. So, armed with a commitment to have fun and with the fear of disobeying LC, Objection and I arrived early at our dinner venue and headed straight for the bar.

Objection asked for a wine menu, I for a drink menu. She was handed a tome detailing the restaurants vino selections. Placed in front of me was a nicely chilled martini glass and a shaker. “Try this,” the kind of cute bartender said. And so it began.

Strange man putting a drink in front of me. What’s a girl to do but drink it? Delicious. Soon, bartender Joe and I were chatting away. I told him it was Objection’s birthday and immediately pulled the “guess how old she is” question out of my bag of tricks. He guessed 24! Score for Objection!

We continued to gab and imbibe until VGF arrived. She, too, ordered a glass of wine. We soon became those girls, you know, the ones who have an 8:00 reservation but don’t sit down until quarter to nine. I decided (as I am the bossy one) that we should go to our table. I asked Joe for the tab and he said, “It’s on me, enjoy your dinner.”

Sweet.

Now, for those of you who don’t know, Objection is a master flirter. I could take some lessons. In fact, we all could. I told her that it was all her doing that we got the drinks comped—the eye batting, the birthday, the whole nine yards. I refused to believe her when she said all the attention had been on me and that she had nothing to do with it; that, in fact, she had been so not playing her A game that it wasn’t even funny. Damn. I'd hate to see that A game.

We proceeded to have a Top Five meal. After dinner we headed back to our place at the bar. Bartender Joe was happy to see us. We talked and joked and drank until last call. A good ten [top shelf] drinks later, we were the last ones to leave the restaurant. With no bar tab of which to speak.

Clearly not evidenced by my [progressive hangover affected] rambling, I learned some lessons last night. I learned that I am not as bad as flirting and talking to strangers as I thought. I learned that there are many ways to flirt; my MO is “passive aggressive flirting,” as artfully coined by Objection. I learned, too, that I can have fun wherever I am, whenever I want, if in the company of people whose attention I appreciate but do not have to covet. And that it’s okay to talk to strangers and be coy and mysterious while simultaneously being cute and sassy. Boys dig it.

But, most importantly, I learned that when you have tasteful cleavage, you need no other accessories.

7 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

Good job RD! I'm going out to do what you've just done. I'm rockin' my (newly healed post marathon) cleavage in a big way.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Objection said...

It was all about you. I was impressed. Perhaps you have a latent talent. Keep up the good work.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

too bad he wasn't hott. and didn't ask for my number. then it would have truly been a top five night (not that it wasn't, but it may have made it to the top of the list).

10:07 PM  
Blogger Objection said...

He has a cat. Did we learn nothing from EE? (Sorry boys who own cats, we don't mean to offend).

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very empowering (or is that word taboo now?) evening RD, knock 'em dead!

Out of curiousity though, if a gentleman who *wasn't* a bartender lavished such a liquid largesse on you, would it have seemed a little awkward or unusual?

3:49 AM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

i think it would depend on my comfort level (which obviously would increase dependent on the amount of alcohol). however, knowing myself and my aversion to strangers who don't have a bar allowing them to keep their distance, i probably would never have let it get to that point. note, too, that if the bartender were just buying ME drinks i'd feel a bit awkward, too. but he was buying for me, objection and vgf. i guess it would depend on the situation, but i'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't stress me out a little bit. :-)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification RD,

Your observation of the natural barrier provided by the bar itself was quite astute. I imagine the bartender also can indulge in timed distractions (due to the job) that detract from the normal pressures of the bar-side tango.

Kudos on some skillful drink acquisitions,

-GWN

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home