Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Blessing or a Curse

Much like the characters of the NBC drama Heroes, I have a special talent. Yes, my friends, it's true. I realized yesterday that I can spot a wedding ring from unbelievable distances. This is pretty impressive. My eyesight isn't what it once was. After years and years and years of school, I find myself constantly clad in (uber cute) German-intellectual-style glasses. Yet, for some reason I am able to spot the big stop sign on the left hand with amazing accuracy. My day to day routine at work requires that I walk between two buildings several times per day. Yesterday, I caught myself checking out the hand of every man I passed. Okay. Not every man. But, every man between the ages of 26 and 45. It didn't hurt that most of them were wearing nice suits. So, am I alone in this talent? Is this a trait that we acquire with age? (BTW, I'm turning the big 20-10 this week)? And, most importantly, do men do this as well. Somehow, I think not. But, I shall defer to our male readers for an answer.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ganesh said...

Most men I know don't really at first -- especially when walking between buildings. As a dynamic is established, many guys may look, but probably not earlier.

Sidenote: I also watch Heroes. Isn't that telepath a chump for sticking with his wife so easily?

9:58 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Haha, that's a hilarious talent.

10:14 PM  
Blogger *Red said...

I am a ring checker as well. I have even gone so far as to look for the tan line of a "misplaced" ring. Men are sneaky little devils.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Objection said...

Ganesh,

You are the first person I've encountered who watches Heroes. I keep trying to convince others that it's pretty good, but to no avail. Yes, what's the deal with the police officer staying with his wife? He should, at a minimum, confront her about it. Very frustrating. I find that I really enjoy the stories regarding some of the heroes, but am less interested in others. It is, however, fun to see how they are starting to come into contact with each other. But, can the show possibly sustain itself for more than one season?

6:46 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

I don't like how they're front-loading the expositions; it seems like every week a handful of new characters are introduced. it's too much at once, which slows down the overall plotline. whether it lasts for more than one season depends on the tension between horned-rimmed glasses guy and the heroes, since that's what's causing the main drama in the show. ok, threadjack over.

7:14 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

a few weeks i was at a bar and we found a male wedding ring on the ground...somebody was in t-r-o-u-b-l-e when they got home...

11:00 AM  
Blogger JoJo said...

I too have this not so uncommon talent.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Objection said...

Ganesh,

Also, I find that I cannot really get involved in the story line with the woman who has the alter-ego. But, maybe that's just me. I know I'll keep watching it, however. There's something about it that intrigues me. But then, maybe it's just that it features the guy that played "Jess" on Gilmore Girls and I think he's attractive.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

My view is that men generally don't check a woman's ring finger in most situations. If I pass a beautiful woman on the street, I simply look at her and admire her beauty. If I am simply enjoying her beautiful appearance, it doesn't matter whether or not she is married.

However, I do check her ring finger before I approach her (if I want to try to get to know her better) ... I don't want to make a silly mistake.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Also, I find that I cannot really get involved in the story line with the woman who has the alter-ego. But, maybe that's just me.

Here's what I like about that plotline: she's morally ambiguous. She's this sweet, gorgeous mother who also happens to rip people's heads off, which her alter ego does A LOT. I suspect that she'll be the Hero we never trust, the one who'll always be suspected of betrayal, which apparently the good mother may not even have control over. She's much more interesting than that chump of a telepath.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home