Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Hey Baby, What's Your Sign?

I find it interesting that after I break up with someone, or after they break up with me (their loss), I am suddenly able to identify many odd personality quarks that I somehow manage to overlook during the relationship. In the aftermath of EE, there's been no shortage of such discoveries. Recently, however, I recalled something about EE that I find to be so odd, that I felt it worthy of a blog entry.

No, I'm not going to blog yet again about his refusal to allow me to look in the refrigerator. This goes back a little further in our relationship. For those of you not familiar with Match, when creating your profile one aspect of personal information which is revealed is your zodiac sign. But, there's the option, if you so desire, to not display your sign in your profile. So, yup, you guessed it. EE opted to not display his sign.

Now, I've given a lot of thought to why someone would decide to do this. And, I'm a bit stumped. I mean, what was he trying to do? Perhaps he thought he could preclude me from trying to figure out whether our signs were compatible? Maybe he didn't want me reading up on his horoscope in Cosmo? I haven't a clue. The annoying thing about this was that because I didn't know his sign, I had no clue as to the time of year of his birthday. Now, okay. Yes, I could have just asked him when his birthday was. But, for some reason, I didn't for months. But, I digress. My real question to you, dear readers is as follows: What possible reason would someone have for not displaying their sign?

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like he got you interested. Hmmmm.

8:35 AM  
Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

He probably just doesn't believe in that nonsense. Why would you list your sign if you think people who believe in astrology are loons?

(I met a hottie at a halloween party who was an astrologer...I pretended to be fascinated).

8:40 AM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Guys know that some women will completely rule out men of a certain sign, so why would any man who doesn't believe in astrology declare his astrological sign, when he knows that it will turn some women off?

That's at least how pragmatists think, but silly Geminis like me think we can talk our way out of any situation.

11:06 AM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

I think what you're saying Objection, is why would he make the extra effort to take it off rather than go the default route, and just leave it there? It seems like these sites add this in mostly just for fun. I am not sure there is a reason to hide it - after all, what person you date would you refuse to let know your birthday?

11:07 AM  
Blogger Objection said...

Dr. Strangelove,

Yes! You hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what I was attempting to convey. Why not just Match default to your sign? Why go through the process of asking for it not to be displayed. Seems a little odd to me.

11:32 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

hmm. does seem weird not to leave it. i love people knowing my sign. they realize up front i love grand gestures.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because that is an option characteristic on ther Match.com profile. Most guys just don't care about horoscopes and therefore don't feel a need to include that info. I don't think there's any kind of mystery behind it. Most of the personality traits are optional. You don't have to let everything be visibile to people who look at your ad.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

I went back and checked my old Match profile (which has been hidden for a long time now). I was also one of those men who did not display my sign.

As Moxie said, there isn't any kind of mystery behind it. I am simply not into horoscopes and astrology -- and thus didn't see any beneficial reason to display it. If a woman was serious about astrology (as opposed to casual interest), I probably wouldn't be interested in her.

3:37 PM  
Blogger allan said...

It never would have occurred to me to block until my first speed dating experience a couple of months back...one of the women asked me my sign when I first sat down and then spent the whole 4 minutes explaining how we were compatible...which is odd, because it just proved to me that we weren't :).

RJ: Check, our first date will be nothing but limo rides, champagne and hot air baloons :).

11:58 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Yeah, I bet he just doesn't believe in it.

4:36 PM  
Blogger jo said...

i think he just doesn't want you (or anyone else in the general match public) to guess when his birthday is. kinda weird i guess but okay... then again coming from a guy who wouldn't let you look in his fridge. now that's really strange...

8:45 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I think it's an after-thought. I mean think about it...He's a guy. Talking about "signs" isn't in their vernacular.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home