Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

My own personal Dr. Ruth(s).

When it comes to discussing s-e-x and intimate issues, this usually talkative and over sharing RD becomes nearly silent. This may stem from being a late bloomer and having to cower as friends suggested a game of "I never," or, even more early on, from being afraid (for some still undiscovered reason) to reveal the name of my crush[es] under the maple tree on the elementary school playground. Just never been comfortable doing it. Ha, guess that has more meaning than I meant it to have.

Thankfully, I have three great go-to gals, all of whom you all (by this point) may know just as well as I do. Each one brings to the situation a different view; I can speak to each about different things. Once I combine all the insight, I have a good, solid take on the situation. This is not to say that I do not call in others from time to time to hash out goings on.

Let's start with Dr. Strangelove. She has known me since I was in that precarious shell, when I would do all it took to avoid contact of any sort with members of the opposite sex. She watched as I went from a very awkward college freshman to the dater I am today. As a medical professional, she gives all the "practical" advice. Thoughts and feelings (psychological and physical) can be discussed, at no cost, at any time. More often than not, I leave conversations with her feeling less like the awkward college freshman I often internally purport myself to be and feeling more like a normal, almost 30 year old woman out in the dating world.

Next comes Romance Junkie. With her, it's no holds barred, tell every last detail. She is one of the only people with whom I can be compeltely honest about all that happened (and, in some cases, didn't). She is a bastion of knowledge on a wide variety of topics and is free with advice, suggestions, encouragement and sometimes even admonishment. She is also a fan of responsibility.

Finally, we have Objection. Poor Objection was first introduced to my dating scenarios in the midst of Him. She must have thought I was relationship illiterate or something. She helped me through that and has been a constant source of encouragement with situations since. She, too, is open and honest. A self-proclaimed expert on several relationship relevant topics, Objection is always ready to listen to the problem and give a practical and honest solution.

Who needs Cosmo advice columns or Dr. Sue Johanson when you've got experts like this in your very midst already?

5 Comments:

Blogger Objection said...

Awwww, RD. Thanks! Though really, "relationship relevant topics"? Shouldn't you just say
s-e-x.

Also, I maintain that dear RD also provides tremendous advice at all hours and through a wide variety of communication methods to this dater. Thanks RD, for all of your advice, for always taking the time to listen, and for being a great friend.

9:34 AM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Thanks, RD! I agree, Objection, fancy wording about the s-e-x talk. I could always relate to your awkward feeling college freshman self and this i think formed the initial basis for our friendship - can you say weekends in the library? It's really nice to be reminded, specifially, just how important our gf relationships are. =)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

DS, we did NOT spend weekends in the library! revisionist history or something? :-) we made up for lost time, though.

6:26 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

i should have spent weekends in the library..but then i wouldn't have my insight to add for rd ;)

and one day i will learn to practice what i preach...

thanks for the shoutout rd.

11:11 AM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

So great to have people to go to:) And I know what you mean about them all kind of serving different roles.

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home