Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

"If you can attain repose and calm, believe that you have seized happiness."

Because my [fabulous] job gives me the flexibility to work from home, that is what I did today. Unfortunately, my entire night will be spent working from home, as my traditional eight hour workday was spent hanging out with RCB before his departure for the weekend. The first weekend in three weekends we wouldn't see each other.

We had a great morning...he worked while I feigned work (lbh, I was discretely watching him work, much more productive and amusing). We chatted off and on. Then we went to lunch. We came home and hung out a little bit before we had to leave for the airport.

When we got there, he said he'd see me in a few days and I promised I wouldn't run away before he came back, insuring him a ride home. Late Sunday night.

On the way home (and several text messages later), I realized that I had seen him more in the past three weeks and done more with him (heads out of the gutter) than I did in the entire seven plus months I knew (it has been downgraded to knowing) Him. That really struck me. During that time, I thought I was so happy. Alas, I was far from it. He who is good on paper is not necessarily good in person (Objection, please concur). He who is good in person, who is a good person, is the one who wins in the end.

So, friends, for the first time in a long time, I am legitimately calm. I have no heart palpitations, nor upset stomach. I'm eating. I know that if he says he'll call, he'll call. This is not to say that I won't have an hour or two when I will have a mini freak out, but those have been few and far between as of late.

3 Comments:

Blogger romance junkie said...

whoa am very jealous.

i wish someone would strike my interest and make me care.

8:55 PM  
Blogger allan said...

It is amazing how stark that contrast can be when you find someone who is so much better than the last person, or last several people you have dated.

Good for you, RD.

11:37 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

yay, rd! what makes it even better is that not only is he better than the last several guys that you dated, but those guys before included him, before he decided to pull his head out of his sphincter. amazing insight being aware of your mini freak-out tendencies and keeping them under control, don't know that i can say the same for myself these days. =)

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home