Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Is that a hickey?

Yes, it is. Apparently my attempt at a casual tryst Saturday night left me with a mark that lasted longer than just one night. This is my first hickey, at nearly 30 years old. I thought I was doing a great job with traditional therapies including the initial icing followed by careful coverup and hair placement until a coworker looked at me and laughed today. Great. Tell me, who's going to respect a doctor with a hickey? The latest on ETB is this - 9 texts today, all incredibly flirty, I'm just not sure I want to subject myself to the damage to my neck - and possibly, my heart, again, not yet anyways...

6 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

Your first hickey...you're all grown up. Seriously, though. Do what feels right.

7:23 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

ha:) glad you are having fun

10:11 AM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

DUDE - leaving a hicky in a visable spot is just impolite! So says Miss Manners' chapter on Hooking Up.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

this cracks me up.

1:09 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Thank you, Irish Red! Very unclassy. Might have had something to do with the tequila. In a text, he did apologize, and explained that he is usually good at "not leaving marks". Just funny this is happening to me now, as an almost grown semi-professional. Also pathetic, maybe.

6:39 PM  
Blogger Shorty said...

I love love love being kissed on the neck. Unfortunately, my fair skin is really prone to marking. Inebriation causes me to be less cognizant of this sensitivity.

Thus, on a particularly drunken night this summer, I was bitten by the bat. RJ had her giggles about that one :o)

Quick Remedy: Skin-toned MAC paint (the one in a tube that functions as an eyeshadow base) works as an AMAZING concealer. It is not transparent (many concealers have fancy light emitting properties which make them ineffective at covering serious spots) and provides amazing coverage. You could not even see the bruise. And it comes in lots of colors...SCORE!

Long Term Remedy: It hurts, but massage it to break up the blood clots. You will end up with a nasty looking yellowish bruise in the interim, but it seems to shorten total recovery time.

Hope it helps. I feel your pain ;)

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home