Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Regulators, mount up.

You know RCB and I are on a seemingly good path these days. We're talking, we're hanging out and we're "hanging out." So yesterday, because I shouldn't be thinking "should I or shouldn't I," I emailed him a short and cute note. You know, to start his day off well (okay, fine, he wasn't on IM and I was having some withdrawal issues).

So I wait. And wait. And wait and wait and wait. No response.

"He must be busy," I think. But, lbh, who's too busy to send a quick "Hey, I'm busy" email? Certainly not this Reluctant Dater. And, if I were, I'd make time.

But I digress.

I think, "Hey, he has a happy hour tonight [near my house]. Maybe he'll call on his way there or, even better, on his way home." No calls.

I go to bed with a knot in my stomach, after texting LC and letting her know there was still no word.

This morning, I go through all the scenarios in my head. I've already convinced myself it's over, that he's changed his mind, that things went too far too fast. I'm self sabotaging but I can't help it. I contemplate my contingency plan: do I call him? Text him? Email him? Ignore him? Note that we have plans tomorrow that have not been confirmed. What's a girl to do?

I decide to call. My call time slowly backs itself up to right after lunch. I am dying inside, sending emails and IMs to those who will listen, begging for advice. "RD," said one good friend, "you really need to regulate your moods."

He called. And in less time than it takes to spell k-i-s-s-i-n-g, my mood had been altered. Dramatically.

So, I totally need to regulate. And I need to remember, as Objection keeps reminding me, boys don't do things they don't want to do and this one has given me no reason to think that he's in it just to be in it. So deal.

8 Comments:

Blogger romance junkie said...

yeah. relaxation is necessary...unless you are starting a path to sabotage.

fight it! fight the urge to sabotage and/or borrow trouble!!!!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

Basing your mood and might i add sanity on someone else is NEVER good - this path can only lead to medication and therapy.

I know a GREAT yoga class - channel that energy, doll!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Oh my, you just NAILED my same exact situtation. Only, I used the telephone and he has yet to use any medium at all to contact me. And yes, I am off to yoga right after work tonight.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Shorty said...

Why is it so easy for us to let them regulate our moods? WHY?!?!??!

8:55 PM  
Blogger allan said...

uhh...its not just us. Do you have any idea what a smile from a beautiful woman can do to us? How your touch, your laugh, that "look" can make us melt? You all have just as big an impact on us and our moods.

9:24 PM  
Blogger jo said...

oh man that just sounds like me with every other guy i've liked before. but sometimes it's hard to regulate your moods when you actually like the person.

9:35 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

allan does make me smile.

but i agree..yoga! get in a good class rd so when i come up i can take it with you...

no more sabotaging. or letting him regulate you. he has done NOTHING to let you think he's not interested. a day or even two with no contact is no big deal. people get busy. now if a week or two goes by...then worry.

:D

just try to be happy and enjoy the butterflies.

9:36 PM  
Blogger allan said...

aww....RJ you make me smile too :).

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home