Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, October 27, 2006

In over my head.

Prideless update on my barely a love life: as is obvi from my most recent posts, my “relationship” with etb is ongoing. What started out as what I thought would be my first-ever one night stand has progressed into dinner, drinks, and sex, once or twice a week, accompanied by daily conversations and texting throughout the day. He has taken the initiative to call in advance to make dinner plans once or twice a week, and for the first time on Wednesday, actually blew off guy buddies to see me alone. Great conversation. Long talk over beers after we were done with sushi. He refused to let me pay. Extremely comfortable, like I never have been after knowing someone for only this long. What gives? Is this still fwb? I’m well aware that I’m probably incapable of actually having the true fwb “relationship” no matter how hard I try, because, let’s face it, I just care, and I can’t and don’t want to help it.

Now, before you begin to think (as I admittedly have done more than once over the past few weeks) that surely there is something more there, that maybe this will be in the 0.5% of fwb relationships that turn into something real, let me inform you that I am not etb’s only fwb. There is another girl who in fact works in our same circles, thus complicating things. When he is with me, though, on his own accord, etb goes on and on about how not into other fwb he is, how she has too much baggage, and he cannot ever foresee having anything more than what they currently have with her. He mentions that while he was hurt by a failed marriage, he wants to marry again someday, but is afraid of real commitment now (what boys say these things?). No mention, whatsoever though, of ending things with her or taking things with me further. Does he really want to be with someone who doesn’t care (i.e. her) about him? I am by no means ready to bring this up in conversation, but know that I have to eventually.

As RD eloquently and accurately stated - I do not want to be a decision he makes, I want to be something he knows he wants. But my dilemma is this - I know that if he really is only capable of fwb, he will likely cut things off or scale way back if he knows how I really feel, and because I feel, I am not sure I am ready to lose him yet. In fwb relationships, is it possible to fake it till you make it?

9 Comments:

Blogger romance junkie said...

well on a positive note...as i'm feeling positive tonight (the cardinals WILL win...i will will it so:D...but back on topic...who cares about the other right now? he doesn't owe you anything YET...and maybe he's just not ready or not sure/..and that is okay.

because i'm not sure all the time.

but you can still have fun and enjoy what it is when it is...

you are a rockstar! he knows it. and he may want to be with you and not know it yet.

the only man i loved i dated his best friend first adn just thought he was a friend. only to find out after what i thought was going to be a one night stand/revenge f@ck that it was the real thing...you just never know.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Starboard Tack said...

A short answer to your last question: No!

8:44 PM  
Blogger allan said...

DS: Try your best to take it easy and let things progress naturally. RJ is right, you are fantastic, and if this guy has half a brain he will realize it.

Above all, and I know this will be hard for you, avoid relationship-type questions at all costs. No, "where are we going" "how do you feel", "are we dating" etc.

Please don't misunderstand me, you deserve all that and more, but the way the relationship is right now, those would be killer questions

10:32 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:11 PM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Thanks, Allan. I think you hit the nail on the head, and I appreciate the flattering comments! I guess I figure I'm not being honest with him or honoring the "agreement" that we have if I don't admit that maybe I'm not the type of girl who can do this. But I'm sure it's not that easy for him either (our mutual friends, without me saying anything, keep advising me that "guys get attached too", plus otherwise he'd be better at not doing emotional-type stuff that professional fwb-ers avoid such as cuddling, kissing, paying for dinner) and I def don't want to have the relationship talk too early. Besides, fwb means friends/sex without drama, right? Now I'm really confused.

11:17 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

yeah the dtr is always a bad idea...but allan...us girls need it. it eats and eats and eats at us until we fairly burst with the questions.

i would heed allans advice dr. ...if you can. i seem to have problems with this...

when i'm interested, that is...

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, it's not possible to fake it til you make it. Our feelings always overwhelm us in one way or another.

You can second guess his relationship. You have no idea if he's even telling you the truth about it or if he's just giving you a sob story to justify cheating on her.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

I'm with S&M - not possible. I've tried, lord knows i've tried. but really you're going to care too much, he's going to care too little, you will be angry and he will wonder why because he told you AT THE ONSET what he wanted.

And the whole talking about other girls thing, NOT COOL. I say cut and run. If he likes you, he'll follow you and then everything will be on YOUR terms.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Red Photography said...

Not sure I have any advice for you, but you know who does?

http://www.firstdatedc.com/2006/11/love-guerrillas-vol-1


Um, congratulations?

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home