Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Enjoy the Rest of Your Week

The phrase is innocuous enough. So, why am I pondering its meaning? Well, in part because I'm a girl and in part because I'm crazy. But, I digress. Allow me to provide some context.

AG and I have another date scheduled in the very near future. He is currently on business travel in New England. When out of town, he's quite good at keeping in touch via e-mail. This is of course a pleasant change from EE who never e-mailed when out of town (or even when at home) and who did not own a cell phone, but I digress again. Early this week, I received an e-mail from AG. He seemed excited about our upcoming date etc. Yes, all seemed well. And then, I read the second to last line of the e-mail "Enjoy the rest of your week." Um, it's the beginning of the week. Does this mean you'll be out of contact for the remainder of the week? And, if so, does this make our pending date a mercy date...one made back when you still liked me (last week) and which you feel obligated to keep, but you've decided you're "just not that into me." (Thanks Greg).

So, ever the seeker of advice I poled a few friends. RD maintains I should not worry. AG is very busy and thus is to be given BODS. Having read the full text of the e-mail, she found no cause for concern. Work friend concurred, though she had a different outlook. She maintained the phrase was just a creative way of signing off and again said I had nothing to worry about. So why am I worried?

Because nothing is more fascinating than my life, I turn to you dear readers. What do we think about this? Am I over-reacting? If I don't hear from AG until the end of the week as our date nears, should I be concerned? Is he entitled to BODS (that's benefit of the doubt status for those of you who may be new readers)?

Are we looking at a mercy date situation here? I await your input with bated breath.

9 Comments:

Blogger Starboard Tack said...

When I write that line to someone, I simply mean that it is unlikely I will be in touch again before the end of the week (because I expect to be busy) ... there is nothing sinister.

I would agree with your friends, and not worry about it.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Frankly, Scarlett said...

silly girl! she's just being polite and conversational while implying that he may be busy this week and may not be in constant contact.

No cause for alarm.

4:14 PM  
Blogger JoJo said...

Don't read anything else into the message than what it says...have a great rest of the week. I've discovered in my years, nay decades, of experience not to give extra meaning to simple, inocuous statements.

4:36 PM  
Blogger allan said...

He is being polite...I do the same thing, especially if I like someone. I know that sounds backwards, but if I am used to talking to someone on a regular basis and I know it ain't happening in a given week I do it as a way of letting them know I'll be thinking about them (you, know without actually conveying real emotion, since emotions suck :)).

6:05 PM  
Blogger Shorty said...

BODS. He emailed you and it sounds like the email was a bit lengthy, so that indicates like :) He would not have mentioned the date (let alone mentioned excitement) if he didn't like you. He would have avoided, avoided, avoided...I think you are in good shape!

7:31 PM  
Blogger jo said...

i don't blame you for coming to that conclusion but i don't think it's a cause for worry especially since the rest of the email was perfectly okay. just tell him to enjoy the rest of his week as well.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Ganesh said...

Deep breath time. In. Out. Repeat and count to ten.

You're overreacting. It's an awkward phrase, I agree, but the times I've used it usually indicated how much I had to get done that week. He means nothing more by it than he's busy -- especially since the rest of his email was sweet.

Relax. In. Out. Repeat and count to ten.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Objection said...

Thanks All. As always, I appreciate all the advice!

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have the right to be concerned. Year 2022, when technology is very accessible and messages are instant and constant. Most of the time, when someone messages you "enjoy the rest of the day" early in the morning or "enjoy the rest of the week" early in the week is blowing you off. Could be for two different reasons:

1) That person is no longer into you and lost interest in frequent communication.
2) You hurt that person's feelings at some given moment and now is taking revenge by blowing you off.

Believe me, it's not out of politeness. Would you really send a message like that to someone you have strong feelings for? Part of nurturing a relationship is to communicate sincerely and frequently. Not once a week.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home