Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Flash from the past.

After 3 weeks of hanging out with FWB, I received a random phone call this weekend from FBO (flyboy original) who I dated for only two months almost two years ago. We sort of unspokenly cut things off when he moved to another area of the country, and I missed him for a while, probably about as much as one can after knowing someone for two months. He was flying out to where I am also on travel for work, and wanted to meet up. We caught up, over dessert and drinks. He was cuter, and more mature than I remembered him. Most interesting thing in common was that we are both recently out of year-long relationships with significant others who were divorced after decade long marriages with two kids. Turned out we are in basically the same place as far as where we are in our dating careers... if only the geographic situation were different. He was genuinely respectful more than anything, and this struck me – not just outwardly, but he was really interested - in me. Why does this seem strange or unusual? My own personal example of what Objection was talking about, i.e. not knowing what you need or deserve until you have it, or have a taste of it. Often I think that the military sucks as far as stationing you as far away as possible from the ones who inevitably get away. Does the distance make him seem better than he really is? Probably, alas, it's likely that I’ll never know.

2 Comments:

Blogger Objection said...

Having been the victim to the cruel realities of geography in the past, I can well relate. But, sometimes I wonder...does distance make them seem better? I mean, it's easy for them to seem wonderful when you only see them from time to time. Ugh. Dating.

8:12 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

yes. i agree with distance makes them seem better in most instances.

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home