Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

My name is Reluctant Dater.

In talking to a friend of mine today about possible blog topics, she mentioned something that piqued my interest. What if I wrote about what would happen if someone (ie me) put together a list, a la My Name is Earl about all their (ha, my) wrongdoings? Not life wrongdoings (because, lbh, RD is an angel who never does a wrong thing—an asset to humanity, for sure), necessarily, but, rather, relationship wrongdoings.

What have I done to cause the end and/or stagnation and/or failure to launch of my relationships past. Sadly, a lot.

Wrongdoing #1: the demise of many relationships (and something I find to be lurking on the horizon with my most recent) has been an inherent need to overanalyze. Every sentence, every word, every action. Every unspoken word, every unfulfilled request, every unrealized demand. Every kiss, every fight, every glance across the room. Perhaps face value is sometimes all there is to a situation.

Wrongdoing #2: I have a hard time trusting, whether the person with whom I am engaging in a relationship has “wronged” me or not. Where this distrust comes from, I do not know. Looking back, I lived a charmed—albeit sheltered—life. Honesty was always the best policy. If you lied, you got caught, plain and simple. Perhaps I fear the repercussions of dishonesty and distrust more so than I fear the actions and words leading up to them.

Wrongdoing #3: taking what other people say and think about my relationship and those involved (ie me and the boy) too much to heart. As LC keeps telling me, “It doesn’t matter what other people think. As long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters.” She is right. Lately, based on RCB Part I, I have felt the need to keep certain pieces of information from friends, thinking that what I tell them will sully their view of RCB and our Part II. But, you all know me and my inability to keep anything to myself. So it all gets put out there, for the world to know. Perhaps I should just live my life as it comes along, doing and saying and feeling what I want without wondering what Objection or my mother or my cousin Susie or the kid next door will think.

Wrongdoing #4: not realizing what I’ve got til it’s gone. Cliché, yes. But true. Who knows how many relationships I’ve passed up because, at the time, I was either scared or wrongfully uninterested? There are probably hundreds (okay, not that many, but accept the hyperbole and move on) of men out there who tried to get my attention at one point or another and who I, in a state of confusion and/or stupidity and/or fear shooed away. Perhaps this RD could have been married with children by now if she had thrown caution to the wind and relaxed.

Wrongdoing #4.5: focusing on the wrong guys. Perhaps, in many case, this was probably the impetus for the behavior in wrongdoing #4.

Wrongdoing #5: being afraid of the real thing. The attraction to friends, to unavailable men, to those who are unable to commit—it all comes down to the fact that I know I can’t have them, so there’s nothing to lose. Perhaps being afraid of the real thing is compounded by a fear of being hurt, which ultimately comes from insecurity.

This is not to say that I am holding myself fully responsible for every failed (or unitiated)relationship of my past. Luckily (and quite possibly as a defense mechanism), I am a firm believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason and every experience, whether good or bad, leads to the next.

And the next from the last (in other words, my present) ain’t so bad.

6 Comments:

Blogger NotCarrie said...

My list would be similar=/

11:20 PM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

mine as well.

12:03 AM  
Blogger allan said...

1-3 I am the opposite. 4 &5 done it. 4.5 -- haven't dated any guys, so I am clear there :).

12:37 AM  
Blogger Reluctant Dater said...

allan, i think you're the opposite because you are a boy. :-)

8:05 AM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Definitely have a similar list, especially #s 1&2. I think #3 is a good point RD, we all do it, and as much as we value our friends' opinions, we have to do what at the time, works for us, so that we leave, or stay, in a relationship when we are really ready to do so. Unless your friends are telling you to leave an abuser, I say take all advice in bits and pieces and apply where helpful. A true friend won't take that as a sign of disrespect to the friendship or judge you. =)

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrongdoing #6: You're taking the dating thing too seriously, treating the the dating process and idea of settling down as mission to accomplish rather something nice that will probably happen anyway. Not just that but I think you feel you absolutely *must* be with a man who fits X, Y and Z criteria. This is probably why you go after (or feel attracted to) your friends and other unavailable men.

You need to become more active and appreciative of whoever you're with at the time - not clingy, but not too distant either (which it sounds like you are) As a rule, and after a few tries you'll find that this works a lot better than subconciously 'expecting' men to fit a standard and getting disappointed when that doesn't happen.

And I think you need to be more socially independent from your friends - that's not shunning them - it's just having a clearer idea of who you are. That'll help you too.

Remember if you are not happy about something in your life, then *you* have the capacity to change it. I think you've tended to blame other people in the past, rather than take the initiative yourself.

Hope it works out.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home