Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Friday, November 17, 2006

A New Decade for Objection

Objection here, in the last hour and a half of my twenties. One of the many "benefits" of aging for me has been my inability to sleep in sans the assistance of Simply Sleep. Thus, despite the fact that I decided to take today off, I'm awake and blogging at 7:30 a.m. But, I digress.

I can't help but think back over the past ten years. For purposes of this blog, I'll consider my twenties to be the beginning of my adult dating life. Ten years ago today, I was completely infatuated with college friend without benefits. Despite an intense emotional connection and despite the fact that everyone thought we were sleeping together, our relationship remained plutonic. I rung in 21 with "he who shall not be named" (hereinafter "The X"). On my 22nd, I learned the value of retail therapy after The X broke up with me eleven days before my birthday. I think he was trying to avoid giving me a present. 23 - 27 were spent with The X. Yes, that's right. We got back together, as in ivory Italian satin dress back together. Birthdays were always a huge ordeal in an attempt to make up for the disaster of 22. 28 I was solo, really and truly solo for the first time in years.

But the 28 and eleven months to 30 year has been pretty eventful. Yes, we saw the introduction of FWB in October of last year. This continued well into February '06, with continued flirtation and temptation as recently as this summer. Now, I think we're just friends, but that only works as long as we are separated by geography. Mid-February saw the introduction of "The WB" (that's Work Buddy). This short "relationship" came to an abrupt conclusion the week of St. Patrick's Day. In its aftermath, I was left (and continue to be left) with no ability to interact with this "gentleman" (enter sarcasm) with comfort. A few weeks ago, we rode the elevator together, just the two of us, and didn't say a single word. Comfortable. From the end of March until the beginning of September, we saw the poorly defined, sometimes fun, but in retrospect clinical relationship with EE. Obviously, I wasn't that attached as I quickly replaced him with the lovely, but (very sadly) emotionally unavailable AG, with whom I think I have established a post "relationship" friendship.

So, my friends, it's been a busy 10 years. Entering into this new decade is a little scary. But, I enter it with a wealth of experience. I enter it with so many wonderful memories. I enter it with some not so wonderful memories as well. Yet, I (perhaps surprisingly) have no regrets. If I can say the same 10 years from now, I will be a very lucky gal. That's all from this blogger. One hour and twenty six minutes of my 20s remaining. I should go do something crazy. Eh, maybe I'll go watch last night's episode of The Office.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ganesh said...

happy birthday!

8:58 AM  
Blogger Objection said...

Thanks Ganesh! You actually beat my parents to extending birthday well wishes. Of course this is likely because they assume that I'm still asleep after some sort of wild and crazy birthday eve celebration. Little do they know I've been up, and fairly productive, for hours. Ah the sense of responsibility that comes with age.

9:39 AM  
Blogger romance junkie said...

Happy 30th!!! If you were down here I would have thrown you a kickass par-tay!

30 rocks for me so far.

10:24 AM  
Blogger dr. strangelove said...

Happy 30th Objection! You are fabulous.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a very happy 30th Objection, and many many returns. From what I hear, there's more good stuff to come.

Cheers,

-GWN

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home