Playing With Matches

What started as a means of chronicling the online dating experiences of two picky yet adventurous almost thirty somethings has turned into a chronicle of all that is, was and has made up their collective dating histories. Our two original daters are now joined by several other fun, breezy, sassy gals, and Playing With Matches is now a missive on dating misadventures, a cacophony of ups and downs, turmoil and bliss. With a bit of snark mixed in here and there.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Here We Go Again

So, as alluded to previously, I have [once again] a first date scheduled for this week. As usual, I'm feeling a little nervous. But, this time there's more to the anxiety than the usual: will he like me? will I do/say things that make me seem stupid? what if I like him and he doesn't like me? will I recognize him when we meet up? Yes, this time I have three big "fears" going into the date.

FEAR 1: It's too soon after AG. Now, I only dated AG for a month. I dated EE for over 5. My first date with AG after the end of EE was only one month after the breakup. This time 'round, I'm going out a little more than a week after the end of the AG relationship. The issue is, however, that while the AG relationship was brief, I became far more "attached" emotionally to AG than I was to EE. For all my jokes about the body not being cold yet, I do have some concerns.

FEAR 2: The individual with whom I am going on said first date (hereinafter HS) is very attractive. The thing is, I usually don't date conventionally attractive. I am a huge fan of the loveable dork. Now, HS is a smarty, there's no doubt about it. I don't date dumb. But, he's also hot...as in, makes me nervous hot. It's been years since I've dated makes me nervous hot. Am I complaining? No. But, I have fears that it won't work because I'm outside my comfort zone.

FEAR 3: My past two first dates have led to relationships. They were both success stories. True, with EE I left not really knowing what was up. But, a few days later, he e-mailed and soon we were going out again. With AG, we talked of a future get together that night. So, I've been REALLY fortunate. And, because I've been so fortunate (and because I mentioned how fortunate I've been to friends the other night and they were shocked), I feel that my luck and good karma are about to run out. This could be the bad first date I've somehow avoided.

So there you have it. This is an actual look into a [relatively] young dater's overly organized pre-date thought process. Gulp. Here we go again.

1 Comments:

Blogger JoJo said...

Take a deep breath and enjoy yourself.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home